Best old watch info references

Thread: Best old watch info references

Best old watch info references

To 1940 Many jewelry stores had big detailed catalogs including the best descriptions and pricing from the manufacturers' jobbers, distributors, on their counters to be used by customers. All U.S. watch producers except Gruen that did not sell thru jobbers were detailed in these. Pages here from 1916 and 1931.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; June 21st, 2010 at 22:20.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Best old watch info references

Interesting post, thank you.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Interesting--thanks!! Those were pretty darned expensive for the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougcee View Post
    Interesting--thanks!! Those were pretty darned expensive for the time.
    I assume the only people purchasing these watches were named Rockefeller or Du Pont.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Selected sample pages of what I liked to see without proper regard for other preferences. Amazing bunch of so called bracelet watches in 1916. Here is the typical popular 3/0 size small pendant size bracelet with nickel case you could buy to accomodate the lady's movement. I have only 1916 and 1931 books. The 1931 is mostly lower cost Swiss and American wristwatches. Tremendous variety $2.- $2000., and of course the popular small thin pocketwatches up to the $732. Maximus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To 1940 Many jewelry stores had big detailed catalogs including the best descriptions and pricing from the manufacturers' jobbers, distributors, on their counters to be used by customers
    I never knew this. Probably few have survived. Where did you encounter yours? And was there a bunch together or did you come upon them one at a time?

Wy. small towns would be likely places for their use. Helped small dealers compete with Sears and Wards. Prices listed were retail, 1/2 price to dealers, so room to discount. Mine came from estate sale and antique store. Maybe $50. now from old book store. Rare of course but exist.

Mine came from estate sale and antique store. Maybe $50. now from old book store. Rare of course but exist
    I will start keeping my eyes open. They would make a great resource. Especially for some details that can be hard to be certain of on vintage watches - like hands and braclets. Also for variations in terms of available jewel counts, etc.

Ok so now starting from vintage watches, I have watchmaking tools, watchmaking books, watchmaking material extras (vintage mainspring tins and such), and now potentially vintage promo material for reference...

Funny how it spins out of control...I may have to dedicate a room in my house!

Thread Information