Best place to buy?

Thread: Best place to buy?

Best place to buy?

Hi all

I have been looking around the vintage forum recently and have fallen in love with some of the vintage timepieces. I was just wondering where the best place to buy such watches and pocket watches is.

I have particularly got into the vintage omegas due to their relatively cheap cost (especially some of the pocket watches) and was wondering where the best place to find one would be?

Thankyou

HaydenM

Re: Best place to buy?

If you aren't especially familiar with the tricks and traps of vintage purchases (Omega in particular), your best bet is a watchmaker. Any vintage purchase will need to be serviced before use unless you can personally trust the word of the person who sold it to you, so you'll need to know a watchmaker anyway, and most watchmakers have a small stock of ready-to-wear pieces to start with. There are still some (small) jewelry stores that employ true watchmakers; thats a good place to go too (they're more likely to have stock), but be wary of those that send vintage watches out for repair.

Once you've gotten your feet wet, most of us pick up stuff at flea-markets, garage sales, estate auctions etc, and of course online auction houses. But the larger the scale of the operation, the more you need to be cautious and fore-armed with information.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I'm lucky and have a local auction house that does online auctions. They normal have a few pocket and wrist watches each month.

i'm trying to get this right now but have a few more days before the auction closes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can you tell us more about the Omegas and what to watch out for. I am curious and learning. :)

Thread Information