BEST WALTHAM SIDEREAL?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BEST WALTHAM SIDEREAL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BEST WALTHAM SIDEREAL?

Here is 10099659 21j model 92 made 1900. Googling for Waltham Sidereal gets a wide variety movements indicating these star timekeepers, of 3 minutes 58 seconds shorter than solar time of 24.00 hours, are not really rare. This 21j 24 hour dial seems to be the best if not rarest. Certainly the best looking 92 movement I have. The case is a fine quality screw threads front and glass back

Name:  IMG_2014aacopy.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  119.3 KBName:  IMG_2015acopy.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  142.4 KBName:  IMG_2022ax.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  273.2 KBName:  IMG_2020ax.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  123.4 KBName:  IMG_2024acopy.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  146.6 KB
    Last edited by artb; July 12th, 2013 at 08:03.
    radger likes this.

Re: BEST WALTHAM SIDEREAL?

I'll admit that I've never really understand the distiction between sidereal time and "normal" time, but isn't this just a normal watch with a 24 hr. dial? Is it "sidereal" because the hour hand only makes one revolution per day?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Agree that its not showing the difference between a normal 24 hour 'clock' day time and true Sun time. There are timepieces that truly display the 'equation of time'
    That said its a LOVELY movement

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

These watches are regulated to sidereal time, i.e. they run ~4min slow per day relative to a watch keeping "normal" time.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    These watches are regulated to sidereal time, i.e. they run ~4min slow per day relative to a watch keeping "normal" time.
    As I understand it, a normal watch will say it is 'noon' and the sun will be directly overhead (assuming you are in the exact middle of a time zone) but the stars could be anywhere at that time.

A sidereal watch will say it is 'noon' and the same set of stars will be overhead - but the sun could be anywhere.

Is this correct? Close even?

I assume these are very useful for navigation.
    Last edited by Eeeb; July 12th, 2013 at 15:18.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Ben
    That is most interesting
    Thanks for letting us know.
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

This sidereal has proper gear ratios to be accurately adjusted for the exact near 3 minutes 58 seconds slower running. There are some adjusted for slower speed 12 hour dial so called sidereals, but this one is a serious optimized for the purpose one.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    This sidereal has proper gear ratios to be accurately adjusted for the exact near 3 minutes 58 seconds slower running. There are some adjusted for slower speed 12 hour dial so called sidereals, but this one is a serious optimized for the purpose one.
    I was going to comment its not exactly 4 minutes, but decided not to bother.

Its most interesting. I also thought the differece varied (changed) over the year i.e variation be tween summer and winter to a maxm 3mins 58 secs?

Thanks for explaining
    Regards

and
    Adam

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Unlike solar time, which also depends on the speed at which the earth goes round the sun (which isn't constant, leading to the "equation of time"), sidereal or stellar time depends solely on the rotation of the earth around its own axis. There is therefore no need for an equation of time on a sidereal watch - the 3 minutes 58 seconds are a constant.

Hartmut Richter

very informative, I had not heard of this before. Thanks

The movement is stunning as is the rest of the watch.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information