Best and worst vintage watch deals?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Best and worst vintage watch deals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best and worst vintage watch deals?

I look around on ebay and I see some brands that must be overvalued. Completely trashed Omegas "for parts or repair" going for hundreds of dollars, etc. Are there any brands out there that are undervalued right now that you can get for a steal? Good quality vintage watches that would stand up to every day use that nobody cares about? Conversely what are the brands to avoid because they will always be overpriced?

Re: Best and worst vintage watch deals?

In the context of watch collecting, I personally think it's meaningless to say that a given brand is overpriced. Collectors have various reasons for valuing specific brands and models.

If you are asking for some brands that represent a good quality-to-price ratio, I often recommend brands like Certina, Cyma, Eterna, Movado, Zodiac, Tissot, etc.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    In the context of watch collecting, I personally think it's meaningless to say that a given brand is overpriced. Collectors have various reasons for valuing specific brands and models.

If you are asking for some brands that represent a good quality-to-price ratio, I often recommend brands like Certina, Cyma, Eterna, Movado, Zodiac, Tissot, etc.
    Let's not forget Longines, Certina, Wittnauer, Hamilton, Zenith, IWC, Jaeger Lecoultre, Hampden, Illinois, Lemania, Ollech & Wajs, Rado, Aquastar, Philipp Watch, Jenny, Juvenia, Solvil & Titus, Aquadive,Sinn, Hanhardt and Tutima
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

... curiously there’s little love for the war era Pierce. Especially the chronographs. A marque with interesting history and unique movements.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    jackruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishcoffee View Post
    Completely trashed Omegas "for parts or repair" going for hundreds of dollars, etc.
    Might be a good deal, if it has the parts you need:)

An items value should be determined from what people are willing to pay for it.
    kazrich likes this.

There are lots of good quality vintage watches that are undervalued in comparison to the more collectable brands such as Omega. You must remember however that no matter the price you pay to get years of reliable use it will need to be serviced which will cost from say $100 upwards unless you can do it yourself.
    To my mind those undervalued brands are those such as early Roamer and Cyma that manufactured almost everything in-house and at the time were as highly regarded as say Omega . By the same token Rolex used in a lot of their top Tudor branded watches eta movements. You can purchase ,for example , an accurex for around $100 and it has the same base eta 2452 as a Tudor Submariner ,Oyster Prince etc. Properly serviced and cared for will last longer than you.
    It all comes down to doing your research before handing over your hard earned .

1960's and 1970's Seiko watches are under rated for a lot of the models.

Some of them (such as the 6139 Pogue) can be a bit pricey but most are nicely priced. Seiko makes everything in house

I actually like Seiko more then Omega as I think Omega is over priced for most of their 1970's-early 1990's offerings.
    bluestifford likes this.

Agreed. I own vintage Omegas, but I never felt the love for them as I do Cyma, Roamer (acquired recently) and Gruen among others. While my Omegas have given me years and years of reliable service their vintage prices have climbed steadily, which is annoying with the amount of garbage you see online. I think my affection for Omegas began to change after they began raising their prices in 2008-2009 on their new watches to compete with Rolex in the luxury market. I look at the modern ones today and say to myself, "what beautiful watches, but not at those prices." I've owned my Cymas and Gruens for more than 10 years now. Much more interesting watches. Still wear them weekly and never a lick of trouble.
    bluestifford likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    ... curiously there’s little love for the war era Pierce. Especially the chronographs. A marque with interesting history and unique movements.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    Now is the time to buy them. Just had this early fixed lug chronograph restored.

I agree with the seiko contender being good vintage pieces, and of course nobody mentioned Favre Leuba yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information