Bezel lume dot

Thread: Bezel lume dot

AAP

Bezel lume dot

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a vintage dive watch and took it to a local watchmaker to have it cleaned up a bit. The watch is missing the lume dot on the bezel. Now, I don't know if it originally had a bezel pearl (metal ring filled with lume and snapped into place) or a direct lume application. The watchmaker told me there was really nothing he could do about it. He said that if he painted a little lume in there it would just dry up and fall out.

I don't really want to replace the whole bezel with a generic one. Anyone here have any other suggestions/comments from past experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey - 1950)

Re: Bezel lume dot

You might be able to find a parts watch on eBay that has a similar bezel and replace it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry. A vintage watch should look that way in my view.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

AAP

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    A vintage watch should look that way in my view.
    Thanks, Ray. You know, I don't mind (and kind of like) that it has a few battle scars. That's the reason I don't want to replace the whole bezel to begin with. So, that's my challenge - - how to fix/replace the dot without replacing the whole bezel and losing some of its charm.

I don't mind bumps and bruises, but I'd prefer it didn't look like something fell off
    Alex

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey - 1950)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe ask in the dive watch forum. Say we sent you.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

AAP

Will do. Thanks for your time, Ray.
    Alex

I have seen lume dots for sale somewhere... I remember it as being ofrei.com but today I feel like the HAL 9000...

... "My mind is going" ...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information