The big 40!

Thread: The big 40!

sjo

The big 40!

Hi,

I'll be 40 in May and I'm thinking about marking the occasion with a purchase of a watch made in 1967.

It's just a thought at the moment, I've done no research at all but it sounds like a nice idea eh?

I'm really looking to celebrate with a decent holiday with the family so I don't want to spend a fortune (500GBP max, hopefully a lot less).

Ideally I'd like I watch that I could wear every day rather than something that needs to be handled with kid gloves (having said that I'll probably continue to ware my DA36 most days!)

Anyone have any views on how realistic this is? Also anyone have any suggestions of suitable models, and or dealers (pref. in Europe)?

Cheers
    Steve

Re: The big 40!

Hi -

I think it's a great idea, and have done that for my kid brother and sister: birth year watches. It's a great present (but then again, we would say that, wouldn't we... )

1967: what were the important things going on back then?

Ohhh, I know: get your self a vintage Omega Speedmaster. Pre-Pro.

Woops, saw the budget.

Let's see: go here and put 1967 into the lower left hand entry, then set the price range of up to €500. Search. I found 572 items.

I've had no dealings with them and can't vouch, but have spent time there looking at prices for various watches. Fun place.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Another suggestion is to contact Roland Ranfft. [email protected]
    He runs a watch auction site and is a real class act. He often posts here. He may be able to help you.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of the brands, you can easily determine the production year is Seiko. Why not looking for a mid to high-grade Seiko of that time. I don't know if the King Seiko was produced in '67, but if itwas, that would be great watch, as Seiko clearly let you identify the production year (and even month). Another recomendation of that time would be a nice Longines or Omega, where the producuction year is not as obvious, but probably still not a big deal to find out.
    But if you want a real cool watch, watch out for an Enicar diver!
    To answer your question about dealers, they're mostly overprized.
    One of them is Joseph's, not the cheapest but never heard about a bad transaction.
    A reasonable prized source is for sure Mika, even if I haven't dealt with him personally (but it could soon happen): http://fi.sometimeago.com/home.htm
    Roland Ranfft has been mentioned before and I must admit, that this is the best recommendation. You often get prizes as on ebay, with less risk though!
    I personally purchased 4 watches there so far and regreted no purchase. One was reasonable, one really good, and two outstanding (meaning you could not get it cheaper in the bay!).
    But he will also be not able to guarantee you a certain built date, if there're no company records.

However good luck with your search (I, have a couple of 66ers Seikos, as I'm one year older ).

Cheers,

Axel

IMHO, your best best can be summed up in three words:

Omega, Omega and Omega.

For GBP500, you should be able to get almost any of their steel or gold-plated non-chronograph models in pretty decent shape. Good solid watches that can be worn every day and easily serviced as well.

Look for serial numbers in the 25 million range (any caliber), these movements were likely produced in 1967. Check out the vintage dealer page on this site and surf around. Given the exchange rate at $2 or so, you might do much better on this side of the pond.

Here is a link to a 1967 UK catalogue that should get you started. Thanks to SteveW's Old-Omegas site:

http://www.old-omegas.com/cat67en.html

Good luck in your search,
    gatorcpa

sjo

Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said my birthday is not until May so I have a while (and now a bit more direction).

Cheers
    Steve

Thread Information