Birth year watch stories
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Birth year watch stories

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Birth year watch stories

Post your vintage birthyear watch, and why you chose it
    Is it a favourite brand or model? A lucky find?

(The idea came from mougino’s birthyear Seiko in the 70s thread - I can’t post mine there
    mougino and amg786 like this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Re: Birth year watch stories

1967 Smiths W10

I first became aware of this watch thanks to this article on its reissue, the PRS-29 from Timefactors
    http://www.watcharama.com/smiths-military-prs-29/

Smiths factory at Bishops Cleeve in Gloucestershire was about 30 miles from where I was born, so practically a birthplace watch too

I’m a fan of simple functional military watches, so that additional personal link sealed it for me, and the hunt was on!

DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Haha, I didn't know I could be an inspiration for a new thread, thanks ohdark!

So the story of my birth year watch is I already had several vintage watches including a 1976 (3 years before I was born) auto Timex but it had not aged well: the rotor was damaged and it made a loud rattle noise, when I opened it I noticed it was just rivetted and the rivet broke, I removed it but even as a meca the crown was awfully hard to operate. So I decided to leave Timex & the like and focus on Japanese vintage, better quality I thought...

But then the hardest part was to match my birth year: 1979 with a S/N... I didn't know Citizen or Orient dating rules, I just knew Seiko S/N first digit was the last digit of the manufacture year, so if I found a S/N starting with '9' it had a chance to be a 1979 watch... or a 1989 or a 1999 watch!

And then I stumbled upon this on a blog:
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhere on the interweb
    Seiko used the.Type.II.designation on certain vintage quartz watches to indicate watches moderately priced in comparison to its expensive caliber series 38 and 48 watches. At 18,000 to 34,000 yen these watches were still more expensive than most of the contemporary Seiko automatics.

These watches appear in the Seiko catalogs from 1976 through 1984. The zenith of the.TypeII.watches was 1979 when 95 models appeared in the catalog. Offerings then quickly declined with only a few models in calibers 7123 and 8223 from 1981 through 1984.
    Getting a vintage quartz was not a problem, au contraire: as I usually rotate watches everyday, setting the autos could become a hassle. So all was left to do was waiting for the good one on eBay and 1 or 2 weeks after, voilà ! :))

Cherry on the cake: the bracelet is Seiko branded and fits my wrist perfectly, no resize needed! The crystal was scratched and some dirt stuck between the steel parts but nothing than a Polywatch rub and a toothpick couldn't fix:

Nicolas
    OhDark30, busmatt and Chascomm like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I bought it because it is wonderful (IMO), but I learned that it is from 1948 only after the purchase

Name:  eterna O 48 (3).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  eterna O 48 (10).jpg
Views: 106
Size:  84.4 KB

Omega Seamaster. Makes for a nice dress watch. This was a serendipitous find. I thought it would be nice to have a birth year watch, so I searched eBay and found this.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I think that military watches can make good birth-year pieces, since the issue date can sometimes be known with certainty. These "6BB" RAF chronographs have the issue year right on the back. They can also have a direct connection to history, although there were no obvious major military conflicts associated with the RAF in 1963. Also, I happen to like these watches aesthetically.

Name:  lemania_6BB copy 2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  408.4 KB
    Name:  lemania_6BB_back.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  275.3 KB
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

My birth year watch is this Omega Geneve from 1969.
    It turned up on a used item sales site, and I jumped at it immediately.

Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  169.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think that military watches can make good birth-year pieces, since the issue date can sometimes be known with certainty. These "6BB" RAF chronographs have the issue year right on the back. They can also have a direct connection to history, although there were no obvious major military conflicts associated with the RAF in 1963. Also, I happen to like these watches aesthetically.

Name:  lemania_6BB copy 2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  408.4 KB
    Name:  lemania_6BB_back.jpg
Size:  275.3 KB
    Congratulations, it is indeed a gorgeous watch!

Nicolas
    badbackdan likes this.

Picked up this Seiko Lord Marvel beauty recently. Love it because it’s obviously my (76) birth year, unbelievably cheap, fully in-house, made of stainless steel and a high beat to boot. The movement didn’t even find its way into the more costly GS models of the era. Still in the honeymoon period
    Name:  IMG_5229.jpg
Size:  818.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5237.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.11 MB
    Name:  IMG_5927.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  726.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Pulsar Diver (basically, a Seiko - Seiko acquired them in 1978) with a 1981 production code. But I ended up selling it back to the guy I bought it from

And then I got this. It's a Timex jump minute. The minute hand ticks every minute, on the minute. And it's loud! It has 80 on the dial as the production date. But I tell myself it probably didn't get sold until '81, so what's the difference? I count it as my birth year watch because: a.) this is close enough and I got sick of looking, and b.) my ideal birth year watch would be a Rolex Air King, but that's out of budget.

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information