Birthday watch
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Birthday watch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Birthday watch

Hello, I have a similar question to Annabelís previous one. Iím looking for a watch as a gift for my boyfriend and would really appreciate a little guidance!

Iíd like to find preferably a 1960s dress watch (though have liked some 50s and early 70s ones). He has previously owned watches but they were stolen so he has none. Heís definitely not an expert (especially compared to some of you!) but is clear about his tastes - I know he likes Rolex and Omega of course - he had a Mickey Mouse Rolex, thatís the only one I can remember him telling me about! And he likes rose gold... I have been inclined towards a seamaster but with my budget of max £500 I feel like a nice one might be a bit out of my league :| the ones I see in my price range are mostly in India or Bulgaria, which makes me nervous. (Should I generally avoid Japanese sellers too?)

I like Seiko but feel itís a bit of a gamble as have a feeling that they could be a bit marmite-y and donít know where he sits on that front. So Iím mostly focussed on Swiss, and have liked a couple of Glashuttes. My favourite has been a 50s Buren Grand Prix on eBay for £95 but not sure heíd be keen (maybe should buy it for myself!). And a beautiful military seamaster from birthyearwatches, which is right at the top of my budget but I worry itís too flashy.

Sooo, do you know of a place in London where I could go and look at some? Or any advice on names to be looking at? I feel like Iím drowning in watch watchlists! Sorry for the rambling post. And thank you very very much in advance.

Re: Birthday watch

Austin Kaye on the Strand or there is a shop on Piccadilly near to the Sheraton but i can't recall the name? Not necessarily the places to buy but good for window shopping. £500 should get you a reasonable 1970s Omega I would have thought? There is huge choice of brands so I would narrow it down to the basics, a gold plated dress watch for £500 is a good starting point.

This 1960s Omega sold last week - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Gen...p2047675.l2557

Factor in a service (£150+/- with a local watchmaker) hopefully parts won't be needed or the cost will escalate, add a new strap (£25) and you could have been under budget with this one. It's not the most dazzling watch available and it's only a manual wind but if you have a strict budget it proves it is possible to get an Omega.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

PM sent with a possible suggestion.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by v8chrono View Post
    £500 should get you a reasonable 1970s Omega I would have thought?
    Yes, but ... an alternative would be to get an absolutely gorgeous, large, all stainless Eterna, Movado, Certina, Zodiac, Cyma, or Tissot.

Thank you all. Trip to the strand in order I think. Thatís helpful re other names to look at. Iíve seen a couple of zodiacs I liked.
    DragonDan likes this.

If you don't mind taking a trip down to Brighton there are a few shops, one in particular that I cant remember the name of, that sell some nice vintage watches. Either way it is good to poke around in the area.

Anything you find on eBay pop on here and let the lions here run it around to make sure it is good.

edit - PS

I know how he feels about losing the watches. When I was living in Worthing the flat got broken in and they made off with 25 of my watches. The thing that ticks me off the most about it is that they took pocket watches out of their original boxes and left the boxes behind. One was also my 1st pocket watch I bought. :( I recovered 2 on ebay and one...black dial Constellation...in the lanes in Brighton.

Bastards! Thatís awful Iím sorry to hear. I wonít get a chance to go to Brighton before his birthday but I remember there being lots of lovely watches in the lanes. Thereís a couple on eBay that Iím wondering about - the Buren Grand Prix that I canít stop looking at, I think itís lovely but not sure why exactly

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263337525950

And then I just saw this Tissot which seems a bit bonkers but I like it and the fact itís different and graphic

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F311969395645

Would be very interested to hear what people think of these!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by v8chrono View Post
    £500 should get you a reasonable 1970s Omega I would have thought?
    Yes, but ... an alternative would be to get an absolutely gorgeous, large, all stainless Eterna, Movado, Certina, Zodiac, Cyma, or Tissot.
    This was my thought, maybe nice to find a top end of a brand I donít know rather than a reasonable omega. But in that I could be not really Ďgettingí watchmakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sbarah View Post
    Bastards! That’s awful I’m sorry to hear. I won’t get a chance to go to Brighton before his birthday but I remember there being lots of lovely watches in the lanes. There’s a couple on eBay that I’m wondering about - the Buren Grand Prix that I can’t stop looking at, I think it’s lovely but not sure why exactly

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263337525950

And then I just saw this Tissot which seems a bit bonkers but I like it and the fact it’s different and graphic

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F311969395645

Would be very interested to hear what people think of these!
    I would avoid both of those watches. The Buren has pretty serious damage to the dial (missing text and ugly replaced luminescent paint) and the case (base metal showing through areas where the gold plating is worn away). The Tissot is what we call a "Mumbai special", where people in India "restore" an old watch to look the way it never looked to begin with.
    bmfang likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information