Black dial Omega cal. 601
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Black dial Omega cal. 601

Black dial Omega cal. 601

Hello, everyone. Can you take a look at this specimen, gentlemen? It features a black, unusual dial and seems to be some of those Genčve models from mid-late sixties. Its dial does not bear the "Genčve" inscription: I'm not sure if this should be a problem, as I was able to find some specimens without this feature (see this thread). Any red flags here?

Name:  om1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  133.1 KBName:  om2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  103.9 KBName:  om3.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  136.4 KBName:  om4.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  152.1 KBName:  om5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  94.1 KBName:  om6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  95.4 KBName:  om7.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  50.4 KBName:  om8.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  77.9 KB
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Re: Black dial Omega cal. 601

The case and the movement match.

However, that dial is a problem. The lume looks convincingly aged, however I believe these dials are fake. They surface in a variety of references, often with incorrect double signed dial - while a double signed dial alone, something like "Seamaster Geneve" was actually, a thing, I've seen this particular dial (identical, down to the "aging" to the lume!) signed "Seamaster 600 Geneve", which is completely incorrect.

The reference 131.018 indeed has a cal. 601, only it's an unsigned Seamaster, not a Geneve, introduced in 1962. This one has a serial for 1965.

Now that we have the facts, time to ask some questions.

Question number one: what is a sports/tool-style dial doing in a non-waterproof model with a press-in back?
    Question number two: what is the 1970s font (on top of that, it's the mid 1970s one!) doing on a watch from 1965?
    Question number three: why dials like this one surface on a variety of different references, with a variety of hand styles, and why is the style of hands completely inconsistent with the style of the case?!
    Question number four: Why is the aging to the lume identical on all of these dials? And when I say "identical", I really mean identical!

My opinion: these are fake dials, probably produced by one forger, and some crooks install them on run-of-the-mill Omegas to sell them big as a "rare black dial red crosshair version." Black dial, a touch of red - oh my, now that's any faker's and fleecer's wet dream!
    Last edited by mkws; September 5th, 2017 at 22:42. Reason: Fixed a typo
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Black dial Omega cal. 601

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    ....red crosshair version." Black dial, a touch of red - oh my, now that's any faker's and fleecer's wet dream!
    ()

Indeed, a tarred dial can only be topped by a tarred dial with red crosshair,

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Shum likes this.

Thread Information