Bottlecap Bulova
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bottlecap Bulova

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bottlecap Bulova

I picked up this white gold bottlecap Bulova off of eBay with another one in yellow gold. Both were advertised as not working. The one I really wanted was the white gold one with the gray dial. I believe it's a 1947 Treasurer. A new mainspring and a good service and she's looking good and running great. The other one needs some parts as it had some water intrusion in the stem. I can't wait to get that one running as it has a really cool patina on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bottlecap Bulova

Well dang! It stopped after about 45 minutes. The balance wheel turns but the escapement wheel does not advance. Thoughts? What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jimdon5822 View Post
    Well dang! It stopped after about 45 minutes. The balance wheel turns but the escapement wheel does not advance. Thoughts? What did I do wrong?
    If the balance swings but the escapement doesn't do anything, then power isn't making it from the mainspring to the escapement. Something is binding; could be as simple as a small piece of dust in one of the teeth or leaves of one of the intermediate wheels. If it stopped after 45 minutes, it would likely be something in the second wheel, assuming it isn't something as mundane as the minute hand catching on something. Something in the motion works could be it too.
    jimdon5822 and WatchFred like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You mentioned moisture intrusion through the stem. If rust damaged setting wheel and/or surrounding, it could be the cause. Clean/polish or replace damaged parts.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Bottlecap Bulova

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyV View Post
    You mentioned moisture intrusion through the stem. If rust damaged setting wheel and/or surrounding, it could be the cause. Clean/polish or replace damaged parts.
    That was the other Watch and I bought a donor movement last night on eBay. This watch is in excellent condition. I think a speck of dust got in there.

Last edited by jimdon5822; June 6th, 2017 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If the balance swings but the escapement doesn't do anything, then power isn't making it from the mainspring to the escapement. Something is binding; could be as simple as a small piece of dust in one of the teeth or leaves of one of the intermediate wheels. If it stopped after 45 minutes, it would likely be something in the second wheel, assuming it isn't something as mundane as the minute hand catching on something. Something in the motion works could be it too.
    I'm going to take it apart again and make sure I didn't let any dust in.

It must me a huge speck of dust. I have a gut feeling there is something else.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Well I finally got a chance to tear down the watch and noticed one of the train bridge screws was loose. I reset everything and it seems to be working fine now. I have no idea how I missed that.

Fantastic looking Bulova, love the case and dial.

Eric
    jimdon5822 likes this.
    Le temps est un grand maître, dit-on; le malheur est qu'il soit un maître inhumain qui tue ses élèves.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

Well I finally got a chance to tear down the watch and noticed one of the train bridge screws was loose. I reset everything and it seems to be working fine now. I have no idea how I missed that.
    It happens. I have on watch that would run great, then suddenly it would be overbanked (aka 'out of action'). Finally found the problem - the pallet bridge screw was loose, and so the pallet had too much endshake, sometimes allowing the guard pin to jump the safety roller. I found it when I noticed that in some positions there was a 'ting-ting-ting' sound on top of the ticking.
    jimdon5822 likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information