Bought a vintage Rolex and Audemars Piguet - Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bought a vintage Rolex and Audemars Piguet - Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought a vintage Rolex and Audemars Piguet - Help

Hi guys!!

Glad I joined this group and this is my first post so feel free to give me any advise on changing the way I post for the future.

So here is the drill, I was a proud owner of a Rolex Datejust 41mm steel and gold with a rare blue dial. Back when I bought it, it was never meant to be that one but the submariner instead.

Found a good deal yesterday and managed to sell the Datejust and buy a Submariner 16610 from 1991 plus an Audermars Piguet Royal Oak with a gold dial not sure on the year but surely very used.

Now, the reason for my post is that as both watches are reasonably old (surely 20+ years) I was thinking of sending them to service.

On the Rolex side all works well and no complaints besides a small adjustment that could be done on the safety lock clasp that is a bit too loose.

On the AP side the watch works perfectly and keeps time well, but the dial is clearly in bad condition because of its age. I was even thinking of changing its dial but I was told keeping it would be the best because of its age and price.

So what do you guys recommend me to do? Should I service both? And regarding the dial replacement what do you guys think?

I can try to add some pics of both pieces but as I am new to the forum I am still not quite sure how to add those.

Looking forward to all your comments guys!

Re: Bought a vintage Rolex and Audemars Piguet - Help

I think that we would all recommend a service if you aren't absolutely certain of the service history. I can't comment on the dial issue without photos. By the way, a ref 16610 would not generally be considered vintage, and if the AP is also from the 1990s, this discussion might be more appropriate for the AP forum. This forum is normally for watches that are somewhat older, generally 1970s or earlier, with occasional excursions into the early 1980s.
    busmatt likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks for the answer.

I believe the AP is definitely a 60/70s Watch.

I took some pictures quickly so you can see the dial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think that we would all recommend a service if you aren't absolutely certain of the service history. I can't comment on the dial issue without photos. By the way, a ref 16610 would not generally be considered vintage, and if the AP is also from the 1990s, this discussion might be more appropriate for the AP forum. This forum is normally for watches that are somewhat older, generally 1970s or earlier, with occasional excursions into the early 1980s.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Somehow couldn’t upload the pics, here is the link:

https://ibb.co/i4BxPx
    https://ibb.co/cL3oWc
    https://ibb.co/bDiVSH

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RolexvsAP View Post
    No.

Cannot be 1960s, as the RO was only introduced in 1972.

The font rules out the 1970s (for that matter, rules out the 1980s as well). Looks like it's a post-1990 piece.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the help!

I wasn’t sure, I was told by the seller it must be circa 1970s but the serial number is D series so it should be 1987-1994.

Any comment on the dial condition? What do you think should I keep it or change it?

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    No.

Cannot be 1960s, as the RO was only introduced in 1972.

The font rules out the 1970s (for that matter, rules out the 1980s as well). Looks like it's a post-1990 piece.

I'd keep it the way it is.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the help!

I wasn’t sure, I was told by the seller it must be circa 1970s but the serial number is D series so it should be 1987-1994.

Any comment on the dial condition? What do you think should I keep it or change it?
    The seller is not knowledgeable at what he sells I mean how can you confuse an early 70's serial with a D serial. Further more you will have to get it serviced through AP because AP doesn't supply spare parts to independant except one who might repair APs who is Bob Ridley from Watchmakers International.
    busmatt likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thanks for the comment.

I can definitely service it through AP, do you have an idea of cost wise?

Plus, considering the dial’s condition do you think they will do anything about it during service?

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    Thanks for the help!

The seller is not knowledgeable at what he sells I mean how can you confuse an early 70's serial with a D serial. Further more you will have to get it serviced through AP because AP doesn't supply spare parts to independant except one who might repair APs who is Bob Ridley from Watchmakers International.

I don't think you should tamper with the dial. If you want a replacement, then ask AP to do it, but you can kiss any hypothetical future collectible value good-bye.

And also, if the AP doesn't have anything seriously wrong with it, your friendly neighborhood watchmaker may be able to service it, thereby saving you a small fortune.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information