Bracelet extenders for vintage watches/bracelets
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By indiana_holmes
  • 2 Post By odd_and_vintage_fan
  • 1 Post By Von170
  • 1 Post By indiana_holmes

Thread: Bracelet extenders for vintage watches/bracelets

Exclamation Bracelet extenders for vintage watches/bracelets

This is for those of you who like to collect vintage watches with bracelets this may be of some help.

Last December 2018, I bought a make of vintage watch (Rado) that I have wanted for years. It is in "all original" condition including the metal bracelet so of course I want to wear it on the original bracelet. It is almost impossible to find links for most of these makes of vintage watches. The bracelet is just a shade short when my wrist swells. I bought one type from Esslingers (https://www.esslinger.com/) that was of no use. It wasn't until then I figured out there were different types. Then began my quest to find the correct kind of bracelet extender for my watch and bracelet.

To my knowledge no one at WUS has ever completely talked about this. I watched many YouTube videos and looked high and low to see if I could find an extender that would work for me. You can buy a bracelet extender from Esslingers, Amazon, ebay and many wrist watch parts internet stores. I really don't know if many watch makers carry these extenders as they work on the movements and cases for the most part. It has been my experience here in Indianapolis that they really have no experience with vintage watch collectors. You might try the brand to see if they might carry links for all of their old bracelets, but on a 50+ y/o watch such as my Rado, I didn't even try.

These are the different types of extenders (I accidentally omitted the spring loaded type). There is a plethora of videos showing you how to attach them to the existing bracelet and clasp. Esslinger has videos on how to attach them, but not what kind of extender you need. In my case, I needed a stepped buckle extender. You may have to experiment what kind of extender you need and how to measure for your type of bracelet. They are quite inexpensive. The shipping will cost more than the extender.

As usual, I have been long winded on my reply/post, but that's how I am...long winded old fart!!! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to pm me or respond to this reply.

Chris Attached Images
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan S, Old_Tractor and SunnyOrange like this.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously."
    Chris

Re: Bracelet extenders for vintage watches/bracelets

I can vouch for the third one down being excellent for ladies' watches. Helped to get one of my mother's old watches back in service. It had a cut-to-fit mesh with a clasp that was too short after some years. I measured everything and got the size I needed. Works perfectly.

these were talked about but probably did not have a separate thread :)
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I searched in the straps and bracelet forum and the vintage forum for info on bracelet extenders. I read all of the posts in both forums and read most of the replies to all of the posts (the posts with no or only 1 reply outnumbered the answered posts). No one had the specific info I needed. That's when I did an extensive search outside the forums to get the info I needed.

Not everyone is interested in this type of post. It is extremely specific and intended to save someone the hours I spent on trying to find out which extender was for me and how to install it. If you can find a reply or post that I couldn't find in my own forum searches, please share it with me.

Molto thanks!
    Chris
    Chris

those are random replies and not that usable/findable as this thread
    Chaos is my focus

I have a few vintage bracelets, but since I broke my arm a few years back, they do not fit my now enlarged wrist.

I never thought of a bracelet extender. Thanks for this thread!
    indiana_holmes likes this.

I'm glad I could help!!
    Chris
    Von170 likes this.
    Chris

Can you share some photos of the extenders on your straps/bracelets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information