Brand New Old Stock CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN SWISS MADE 17JEWEL HAND WIND MENS WATCH 1960's

Thread: Brand New Old Stock CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN SWISS MADE 17JEWEL HAND WIND MENS WATCH 1960's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Brand New Old Stock CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN SWISS MADE 17JEWEL HAND WIND MENS WATCH 1960's

Hi
    Just wondering if this is a good buy? I paid $60.95 Australian
    Brand New Old Stock Never Worn !

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250637345313&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Any comments or info would be Appreciated

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Brand New Old Stock CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN SWISS MADE 17JEWEL HAND WIND MENS WATCH 196

Hi.

It looks to be a very nice watch. We don't do valuations in here. Having said that, NOS watches of any 'middle of the road' brands (don't take offence ) are normally sold at a considerable premium to normally used ones. I don't think you've overpaid compared with similar watches sold on ebay in the UK. However, the watch oils will have dried out by now. Running it could cause rapid wear and damage, so it would be prudent to get it serviced before using it.

Croton was not a brand sold in the UK (AFAIK) so I'm not very familiar with them.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Brand New Old Stock CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN SWISS MADE 17JEWEL HAND WIND MENS WATCH 196

No offence taken Marrick I know its not an Omega or Rolex doh !
    Thanks for the reply, and the info on getting it serviced.

The bloke I purchased it off just sent an email saying I got a great deal, I am slowly learning, got a few good deals and made some really dumb ones as you do when you first start collecting,

I am not really in it for the money, just what I like but if you can get something that you like and is also worth something all the better LOL

Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you do an ebay search for Croton and restrict it to 1940 to 1969 and closed auctions you'll find you've done well. Having the original box and hang tags adds a great deal to it's collectability.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

It's a great looking watch. I would have definitely jumped at the chance for the watch and full kit for what you paid. That's just my personal opinion though. As Marrick stated you will want to get it serviced as soon as possible. Even if the seller says the watch was just serviced I would still take it to my local watchmaker and have him check it out. Congrats on a great looking watch.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; May 29th, 2010 at 18:25.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Dear,
    That is one fine watch boxed and all!
    I don't think you overpayed on this one...
    congratulations on it.
    And indeed, a service ASAP is the right thing to do!

regards,
    RJ van melle.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is a Cal. 140 by Phenix:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Phenix_140

...which in the link has the same markings as your watch! "N14", "A 1059" and used by Nivada (the parent company for Croton). Did you buy yours off Dr. Ranfft?!!

Hartmut Richter

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the replies

Hi Hartmut Richter no I bought it from Someone on EBAY in Victoria Australia, also thanks for the movement info
    winscombehill ( Feedback Score Of 2093) 100% Positive feedback
    As he said in his EBAY listing the watch originates " Was Sold " in USA, he had a few nice New Old Stock watches for sale on that day a 1960's Orient Automatic World Time Aqua Blue Wrist Watch which was beautiful, and also a Rado " not NOS ". But I have blown all my watch money over the last few weeks ;) So only could afford to bid on the one I got.

Here is a link to the RADO which sold for Australian $81.95

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EXCELLENT-RAD...item3a5b26215e

Not sure why the Orient is not listed in the Completed listings to show you ?, It was a really nice watch too. " oh probably has not been paid for yet "

Cheers

Very nice!! I'm a big fan of Croton's; I have 2 that I'm very fond of! Here's a photo of one I just had serviced. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lucky you, I had my eye on that one and bought something else , Great buy, nice Hands and dial, do get it oiled first though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information