BREGUET SILVER POCKET WATCH
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BREGUET SILVER POCKET WATCH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BREGUET SILVER POCKET WATCH

Can you please identify my BREGEUT pocket watch.
    I want to know the model and the year and how much it worth.
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: BREGUET SILVER POCKET WATCH

It is against forum rules to discuss watch values, there is a sticky on this.

Your watch has a very generic Swiss or French verge fusee movement from approximately 1800. I very seriously doubt that you have a genuine Breguet. Forgeries marked Breguet are common.
    jesse1 likes this.

I would state that this is surely NOT a Breguet by the master Abraham Breguet.
    It is a nice old verge escapement, but not made by the master.
    What does it say after the 'a' ?Laird?

Please confirm
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also Old Swiss movements were commonly marked BREQUET, usually along with actual maker name, when a cylinder escapement because Brequet used that design that he greatly improved. Not logical for verge movement to be marked as a Brequet type. art b.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Also Old Swiss movements were commonly marked BREQUET, usually along with actual maker name, when a cylinder escapement because Brequet used that design that he greatly improved. Not logical for verge movement to be marked as a Brequet type. art b.
    I believe that reference to "Breguet" was the over coil balance spring invented by Abraham Breguet in 1795, sometimes referred to as a Breguet Spring.
    The cylinder escapement was invented by Thomas Tompion in 1695 and improved (Dead Beat) escapement by George Graham in 1726.

Abraham Breguet was first to use a ruby cylinder escapement around 1810.

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Thanks for details about Brequet and the cylinder movement. I have a 1723 G. Grahm cylinder. Surprised Brequet improved 100 years after the famous Brits. art b.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Thanks for details about Brequet and the cylinder movement. I have a 1723 G. Grahm cylinder. Surprised Brequet improved 100 years after the famous Brits. art b.
    1723 is early, Graham made a number of improvements like temperature compensation/Dead Beat. Between 1725 and 1726 he further developed the cylinder escapement. After 1726 he only fitted the cylinder escapement to all his watches.
    Hence i use that date.

and
    Adam

hello
    This is a movement of Swiss origin as stated by RON in PA and Breguet used to use Arabic numerals designed by him
    regards enrico

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post

The cylinder escapement was invented by Thomas Tompion in 1695 and improved (Dead Beat) escapement by George Graham in 1726.

1723 is early, Graham made a number of improvements like temperature compensation/Dead Beat. Between 1725 and 1726 he further developed the cylinder escapement. After 1726 he only fitted the cylinder escapement to all his watches.
    Hence i use that date.
    Tis true that Graham invented his famous 'dead beat' escapement.
    But Grahams 'Dead Beat' escapement has nothing to do with improvements to the cylinder escapement or
    even watches.
    Grahams 'dead beat' escapement is an extremely accurate escapement which is found only in pendulum
    clocks. Often seen in observatory and other high accuracy regulator clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Tis true that Graham invented his famous 'dead beat' escapement.
    But Grahams 'Dead Beat' escapement has nothing to do with improvements to the cylinder escapement or
    even watches.
    Grahams 'dead beat' escapement is an extremely accurate escapement which is found only in pendulum
    clocks. Often seen in observatory and other high accuracy regulator clocks.
    agreed.
    But between 1725 and 1726 Graham improved the cylinder escapement, as I wrote, and therefore after 1926 he only made wristwatches with cylinder escapement.

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information