A Breitling Example of Why This is a HARD HOBBY !
Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By Sdasurrey
  • 3 Post By jackruff
  • 2 Post By Sdasurrey
  • 2 Post By jackruff
  • 5 Post By Sdasurrey
  • 5 Post By WatchFred
  • 1 Post By Sdasurrey

Thread: A Breitling Example of Why This is a HARD HOBBY !

Hi was doing my usual 'Eberhard Surfing' and found this 'Breitling' 'medical watch'.

I did my usual checks I have learned to-date and it did seem like a very different style then that era - supposedly 1940 but I have been looking with some help from Fred for a 769 anyway which is a similar era.

Anyway I did what anyone interested in a Brietling would do - I apologised profusely for bothering Fred as I have 2 'Vintage Breitling Get Out of Jail Free' cards with Fred per year, and I already used one when I purchased this real Breitling Chronomat Which I happened to be wearing today...

Really what a nice guy who is as we know THE EXPERT - he replied in about 2 minutes and I won't repeat what he said.

But really if you don't know a ton about these watches and you looked at this watch - which aside from what it is has an interesting patinated dial - how do you not get really stiffed on some of the 'mega brands' - that's another reason why I have been staying in my 'Eberhard Vertical' - there seem to be less GUTGGH;4()£777) !!!!'

Cheers, SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 8th, 2016 at 21:07.
    JOSE G, busmatt, Charon and 3 others like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Re: A Breitling Example of Why This is a HARD HOBBY !

Yep there are a handful of brands out there where the default stance should be suspicious until proven otherwise....Rolex, As above, Ulysee Nardin, Baume and Mercier to name but a few....Seems like a whole lot of crap coming out of certain countries re-labelled to fraud, frankens etc etc........Brands I just don't even bother with anymore not to mention the stupid prices....If anyone is prepared to part with some large spend a bit more and buy a seller!
    It's s frustrating hobby - it seems when there is money to be made opportunists abound....It's getting harder and harder to weed out the crap form the jewels and when a jewel becomes available especially in the sheep brands you need to part with a kidney.....
    Last edited by jackruff; February 9th, 2016 at 06:10.
    kazrich, Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    Yep there are a handful of brands out there that the default stance should be suspicious until proven otherwise....Rolex, As above, Ulysee Nardin, Baume and Mercier to name but a few....Seems like a whole lot of crap coming out of certain countries re-labelled to fraud, frankens etc etc........Brands I just don't even bother with anymore not to mention the stupid prices....If anyone is prepared to part with some large spend a bit more and buy a seller!
    It's s frustrating hobby - it seems when there is money to be made opportunists abound....It's getting harder and harder to weed out the crap form the jewels and when a jewel become available especially in the sheep brands you need to part with a kidney.....
    Jackruff - thanks - agree completely with your comments !

It's interesting because I don't consider myself a 'hobby' kind of guy. I have collected art for a long time since buying it on a credit card as a poor grad student - but this 'hobby' has really drawn me in - it's just amazing how much you need to study/assess/askforhelp/giveup/research etc etc just to separate the wheat from the chafe !

It's just if you purchased a relatively unknown painting you liked for the kind of money you spend on these watches it's not like research, research, Google, Google, google etc. You see it you like it you get a 'certificate of authenticity' and in many cases I have purchased art directly from the artist. Franken ? Not a concept known in that kind of transaction !

I think one thing on this art - vintage watch juxtaposition I'm making is the potential art fakes in £2k art has very little scale - EB + Google + 125 year old 'mega name' = ' Franken City' !

Anyway it's amazing you go to what looks like a completely legitimate web and a 'real' watch and boom !!! Fred wakes you up from your dream state in 2 minutes !

Cheers ! I will get off my soap box for a few minutes ! Your turn ! Cheers SDA

PS - welcome back again !!

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 8th, 2016 at 23:33.
    jackruff and busmatt like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agreed.... perhaps the reason I tend to hunt out the "lesser brands" - there is just no reason to fraud as there is no money to be made...
    Also the "lesser brands" are only described this way because of the name on the dial...realistically in vintage times all the components more or less came form the same manufactures so your essentially getting the same thing with a different name...
    Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

I guess Eberhard is in the 'middle' - aside from the Hodinkee 'kiss of death' as a buyer - or 'kiss or life' as an owner - it fits well in my 20s-40s 37-39mm chrono affliction !

Then again I could buy some art from my daughter the budding artist ! Where I don't need a certificate of authenticity ! In fact she won't even sell yet ! Cheers !

Here's an example ....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 8th, 2016 at 23:58.
    jackruff, mmarc77, derids and 2 others like this.

thanks for the kind words, Scott and I'm happy to help a bit.
    anybody who posts a B here for verification might wait a little longer than those two minutes, but in a day or two I normally respond.

actually things are a lot easier than they seem with Breitlings - chronograph models between the late 1930s and mid 1970s are actually quite well documented; yoy might remember that ahort "cheat sheet" I posted in reply to a similar vwrification request ?

By following these steps you can weed out most fakes, frankens require a bit more experience:

--------------
    So, look for the obvious things first:

does the watch have a period correct serial number inside or outside the caseback &
    - 6 digit until late 1964, 7-digit afterwards
    - 1940s range should be between 5xx.xxx & about 75x.xxx

precise serial list here:
    http://www.vidision.com/watchfred/

does it carry a correct reference number ?
    - 3-digit for the high end column wheel Premier, leading 7s
    - 3-digit for the up/down Venus V170 pieces, leading 1
    - 4-digit for the mid range Venus lever chrono "Cadette" and similar, leading 11

if it has a paper thin Chronograph Suisse 18k case w/ a metal inner caseback ... it IS a Chronographe Suisse ;)

if it is 18k and has a Landeron movement, it's fake.

Now, when all that seems to check out - post the watch here for verification, it might either be a very good fake, or have (sometimes many) incorrect parts and be worthless again.

Make sure NOT to listen to "opinions"

Hope I could help a bit.
    ---------

look again at that watch u posted above, Scott ? ;)
    best, Fred

Fred - thanks - actually partly my fault as I didn't look back at your 'Cheat sheet' as I'm not a regular B purchaser ... !

Thanks again ! SDA

busmatt likes this.

Thread Information