Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By elkdarkshire
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By Buddman
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Breitling Heritage

Breitling Heritage

Good day and greetings from Austria!

I decided to register here in order to find out more about a heritage watch my mother recieved from my deceased grandfather, brother to Beatrix Breitling

Since my mom herself doesn't really have ways to identify it, I was looking for a forums that is specialized in it

The condition of the watch isn't that good I'd say, since the back is quite scratched imo.
    My grandfather must have had it for atleast 40 years though.

It also has no new stamps of any kind found anywhere (aside from the 2020 at the back), so I'm hoping you guys would have some information about it.

Name:  764d4878-fc05-4356-a49c-5842884ecb18.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  102.6 KBName:  24587c11-2a63-4cb2-9e20-296e2ea9ef60.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  100.6 KB

Regards,
    Elk
    thoth likes this.

Re: Breitling Heritage

Firstly, the condition would not be considered poor for a vintage watch; some scratches on the case-back are not a major concern.

If you have documentation of the provenance of this watch, you would be wise to save it, because this is certainly not a common model. In fact, I didn't even know a ref 2020 existed, so if you have proof that it was owned by a member of the Breitling family, it could be quite desirable.

It is reminiscent of British military chronographs (e.g. Lemania), but obviously it doesn't have military issue numbers on the back. It would be very useful to show photos of the inside.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I found an old eBay auction of what is apparently a similar watch, although the photos are gone by now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/230711823399?rmvSB=true

Here is the Google translation of the description. It's certainly interesting (maybe a little strange) that both this eBay description and the OP's provenance both explicitly mention Beatrice Breitling.

--------------

Breitling chronograph, serial number 2020, probably a single piece, as this model did not find in the number list of Benno Richter's "Breitling the history of a large watch brand". This watch was purchased in Geneva about 30 years ago by Mrs. Beatrice Breitling, widow of Willy Breitling. Correspondence is available. The watch was overtaken at Sinn. The Plexiglas has a jump, see photo. The band is not original. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this watch never went into production. If anyone knows this model, I would be glad about a mail.
    On 06.12.11 the seller added the following information:

By popular request, I have now added more photos of the clock. Lid inside, lid outside and clockwork. At this point, thanks to the rain sympathy. I received many interesting mails about the watch. This is obviously a one-of-a-kind, more is dealt with in this interesting threads

http://www.flying-time.de/wbb2/threa...aute+breitling

http://www.flying-time.de/wbb2/threa...aute+breitling

Furthermore, I have a lot of brochures on ebay set, which I received at that time from Mrs. Breitling. Benno Richter contacted me for his book because of this acquaintance.

On 08.12.11 the seller added the following information:
    Thanks to a note from Travis in 1963 (author of the above-mentioned threads written at a high level), I have discovered a picture of this clock in the book "wristwatches" by Gisbert L. Brunner and Christian Pfeiffer-Belli (page 64). So the prototype is real. Here, too, I would like to cite 2 comments from the above threads, also because of its literary quality: "Sometimes only the virtue of patience is needed until the market floats ashore desired specimens ashore." This beautiful Breitling is not a common specimen, but probably the starting point of a whole generation Pfeifer-Belli showed them on the sidelines in his standard work and since then she is a mystery "

If you want a real Breitling that no one else has, then this is probably the only opportunity.
    elkdarkshire likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a lot for the hints and lead!

Did some research on my own in the meantime and appearently Willy Breitling once came home with a basket full of Prototyps which he gave to his wife which then appearently sold.

Also found some very very similar photos depicting the watch but its missing the white cicle and arrow in the center of the watch.

When you mention a white circle (perhaps with a "T" inside) and an arrow, you may be referring to Ministry of Defense dials.

I've ever seen a Breitling brand one. Maybe Breitling tried to be part of the supply contract to the British Military.

Time Spec: 1970's British Military Asymetrical Chronographs
    thoth likes this.

Hey :) just managed to open the watch with a kneaded rubber eraser... so you can see the movements too

Serial 1373174
    Says SEVENTEEN 17 JEWELS at the left and something super tiny aswell below...cant read with bare eye

Name:  ecc60f04-8280-446a-808f-193419bb0cc0.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  154.5 KBName:  a3d47279-9979-4471-80a5-eb82a2f19682.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  69.4 KB

Valjoux 7733 movement.

Watch dates to 1971 and is pretty standard offering for the times. Closely resembles the Datora 2018 & 2034 which have the same movement. Another one here:The Breitling Watch Source Forums ? View topic - Military breitling ref 2020 ?

The movement is surprisingly beat-up, with lots of gunk and a missing jewel or screw. A service is badly needed before you consider using the watch.
    WatchFred likes this.

Thread Information