Breitling or Omega, if you'd have 3k to burn...

Thread: Breitling or Omega, if you'd have 3k to burn...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Breitling or Omega, if you'd have 3k to burn...

Hi guys, I am torn between: a) Omega Speedmaster with the 321 caliber b) Breitling Cosmonaute (60's) c) Breitling Navitimer (60-70's) Or any other interesting watch, if you would like to make a suggestion (no gold if at all possible, metall bracelet). Anyhow, I do have for this years expensive one time puchase about 3k - 3k5 to burn. So i wanted to get one of the above mentioned watches. What would you do (not really looking for a new watch) Thanks for your inputs... Mickymouse

Re: Breitling or Omega, if you'd have 3k to burn...

Hi -

The Omega.

Why?

Because it is horologically significant: this is the watch that made it into space with no modifications. The Breitlings are lovely watches, but the number of these Speedmasters out there is extremely limited.

And the Speedmaster is, in my opinion, from a design standpoint, one of those nearly perfect designs.

But buy the seller, not the watch, and make sure that your budget includes some reserves to have it looked at by a good watchmaker to verify the seller's story...

JohnF

PS: Condition is EVERYTHING: avoid anything that requires either serious cosmetic work or rebuilding the movement. With the Omega, you have the option of sending it to Omega for the best possible (and rather expensive) work done on it.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    The Omega.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    With the Omega, you have the option of sending it to Omega for the best possible (and rather expensive) work done on it.
    True!!
    -Blaise-

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

speedmaster. no hesitation.
    --AC

Thanks for the replies.

Am I correct in my understanding, that concerning the Speedmaster the "original" one is the one with the 321 caliber. Manufactured somewhere between late 50's to late 60`s.
    After the 321 came the 861. However the 861 is not as sought after as the one with the 321 caliber, right?
    To be horological significant is it true that I should find a 1962 model?

Another question, even though the Speedmaster with the 321 is significant, could one argue that the Breitling Navitimer is a horological significant design? Afterall it has been copied (similar to the Rolex design) a myriad of times, and the design has been almost identical for multiple decades....

Coming back to the Speedmaster, what is the best website I can find high res pictures? Afterall finding an original 321 seems to be a tedious job, most likely it had several services..and how will I be able o figure out those tinie differences i.e. in the dial? Yeah, I am a little afraid or concerned in this respect...afterall I do not purchase watches in this price region often...

Thanks guys
    Mickymouse

Well.. it seems like I need to opt for a little more money.
    Like 3500 - 4000.
    Do you guys think this will be ok?
    Are there other online places like ebay to source a Speedmaster?

THX Mickymouse

Quote Originally Posted by mickymouse View Post
    Well.. it seems like I need to opt for a little more money.
    Like 3500 - 4000.
    Do you guys think this will be ok?
    Are there other online places like ebay to source a Speedmaster?

THX Mickymouse
    I buy all my watches online. eBay usually gives you the best prices. But, if you are not an experienced online buyer, I am not sure I would recommend starting with a very expensive buy like this.

With experience and a few difficulties, you can get a good feel for a vendor. But you don't have that and multiple thousands of dollars probably means a lot to you... just my $0.02
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I would never spend this kind of money on any watch from an online dealer. You need to visit some estate jewelers or high end watchmakers and see the watch in person.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

Here I agree with Ray: this is beyond my comfort zone for buying online. If you do, BUY THE SELLER, not the watch. Very, very, very important, and make sure that you have some sort of escrow account where you can get the watch to a good watchmaker for verification BEFORE the seller gets his money...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by mickymouse View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Am I correct in my understanding, that concerning the Speedmaster the "original" one is the one with the 321 caliber. Manufactured somewhere between late 50's to late 60`s.
    After the 321 came the 861. However the 861 is not as sought after as the one with the 321 caliber, right?
    To be horological significant is it true that I should find a 1962 model?

Another question, even though the Speedmaster with the 321 is significant, could one argue that the Breitling Navitimer is a horological significant design? Afterall it has been copied (similar to the Rolex design) a myriad of times, and the design has been almost identical for multiple decades....

Coming back to the Speedmaster, what is the best website I can find high res pictures? Afterall finding an original 321 seems to be a tedious job, most likely it had several services..and how will I be able o figure out those tinie differences i.e. in the dial? Yeah, I am a little afraid or concerned in this respect...afterall I do not purchase watches in this price region often...

Thanks guys
    Mickymouse
    I'm no expert on the Speedmasters, but there's an excellent reference site on the web that was put together by the late Chuck Mattox.

http://www.chronomaddox.com/#Moonwatch

The site is being maintained by several dedicated vintage watch collectors (some of whom visit here occasionally). Many thanks go to them.

This one should keep you going for several hours.

With regard to your first point, I just came across this information today on another board:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=176420

It seems that cal. 321 movements were produced prior to 1960 in anticipation of future use, with serial numbers in advance of other contemporaneous Omega movements.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; August 17th, 2008 at 20:26. Reason: Edit link to WuS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information