• 1 Post By busmatt
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 4 Post By georges zaslavsky
  • 3 Post By Wibbs
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By slique

Thread: Bring a Brain XII

Bring a Brain XII

As always, when it is necessary, I bring you a fresh portion of our favourite Donkeys' fails, ridiculous fleecing, and hype verily obnoxious. Lads and lasses, for your education and entertainment- this is your Bring a Brain!

First, as always, let's start with the Fleecers' Den, and the watches up for sale.

First, this Eterna KonTiki:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...eference-130-t
    "...features an automatic movement to boot." If that movement is truly so great, you surely could include a pic of it, no? Of course, their legendary research skills (read: being completely unable to ask Uncle Google about anything) have not led them to establishing the year of manufacture of the watch. According to the serial provided, it dates to 1962- although it's them who should know it. The end pieces of the bracelet don't look like they match the case either. The bracelet, if signed as a KonTiki one, belongs on a KonTiki, only it may be, that not on this particular KonTiki.
    "This watch is a great example of how you can get a lot of watch for not a lot of dough." For the price of an Omega Constellation Pie-Pan, how about no?!

Next up, a Kelek chrono:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...rs-and-stripes
    "Stars and Stripes..." Ummm, no, I don't think so. Unless the stripes on the US flag turned orange, no, it's not. That's pretty bright orange on that watch, so their theory about that being a result of fading has me completely unconvinced.

Now, a Cyma Time-O-Vox:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...yma-time-o-vox
    The price is, as always, obscene. But the best part starts here: "With this Cyma Time-O-Vox, you will never be late." Actually, yes, you will, as the regulator points all the way down to "R" (slow), which means that the thing does run slow, and it likely didn't get serviced in quite a while.

That's it for the Shop- now, it's time for the column, to which BaB owes its name...
    Looks like hyping redials and replacement dials is the new pillar of the Hoodwinkee hype agenda, as they did that once more:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...pe-june-2-2017
    And the asking price for that Patek is twice what it sold for before, already after it had its dial replaced. That's a part of why I think that the editorial hyping redials was such a lot of pesty claptrap - now other fleecers took it for a green light for asking obnoxious prices typical for watches with their original dial, for watches with replaced dials. I'm tellin' ya, frankens gonna be next.

The Buyer Beware part might warn a few utter rookies, which is good, although that redial is very, very obvious, and extraordinarily crappy. What has me amazed, is that there is no mention of another big mistake found on that dial- there should be no "Perpetual" there, as the Veriflat was hand-wound.

Next, this, especially the part about that cal. 135 chronometer:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...pe-may-26-2017
    Yes, it only confirms the trend for hyping questionable watches. They acknowledge the issues of this watch themselves. Then why, by Jove, why are they hyping it?!!!!! Hands with empty space intended for lume, no lume on the dial, and the dial looks new and shiny. With a watch, that would have been in the top of the range that Zenith had to offer back in the day, dismissing these issues is, pardon me, an extraordinarily idiotic thing to do. IMO, there are two plausible explanations:
    1. The dial was lumed, but has been redone; looking at the fonts, likely using "master stamps", a lot of which, for the fonts used by a lot of manufacturers, have made their way to independent watchmakers and restorers.
    2. The hands are incorrect replacement parts, likely correct for cal. 135 Zeniths, only not for this particular reference.

Now, let's get to the part about the fake MN-stamped watch. These engravings are not shady. They. Are. Fake. As fake as fake engravings get. Crappy beyond measure. There's really no need of getting euphemistic about something quite as obviously wrong. There's one more thing in that part, which annoyed me- "...all military collectors agree..." All? Since when do you speak for all military watch collectors?

Let's move to a slightly smaller, but no less entertaining mistake, concerning a contemporary reissue of a vintage watch- the Panerai Mare Nostrum.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...mm-introducing
    "...and comes in a wooden box that is shaped like the Luigi Durand De La Penne, an Italian Navy destroyer ship from the era of the original Mare Nostrum." Nice, but either a misunderstanding, or someone got "creative" there, because the first destroyers of the Luigi Durand De La Penne class were built in the early 1990s, which matches the period of the first reissue of the Mare Nostrum, but not of the original Mare Nostrum. The original watch was launched in 1943, when Mr. De La Penne was an officer in the Marina Militare, but no one has yet had the idea to name a ship in his honour.

It's time to move to the icing on the cake- an issue, brought to my attention by a friend (if you're reading this: thanks, buddy!)- Hoodwinkee now does false advertising, with openly misleading information featured in advertisements on other sites.
    Have a look at this:
    Name:  hodinkeehourglassfalseadvert.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  37.1 KB

Yes, it's an advert for the offer of the Shop, and more precisely- for that "hourglass" of theirs, with nano-balls that aren't "nano." The price given in the advert is the deposit that the buyer has to pay upon ordering it. A proper information that the prices shown in the ad are not full prices, is nowhere to be found. Sorry, dear Donkeys, but even in car adverts, the apparently low price will be annotated as, say, the first instalment of a 50/50 credit, or whatever. Maybe in fine print, but it will. This ad, meanwhile, deceives the potential buyer. Are they so ashamed of the prices for what they sell, that they have to resort to pulling off stuff like that? By Jove!

That's all for this Bring a Brain. As always, I hope you all have enjoyed it, and as always- Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    Last edited by mkws; June 7th, 2017 at 20:52.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Bring a Brain XII

Great stuff as usual

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    mkws likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

i'm prepared to say that, at this point, you're probably more knowledgeable concerning eterna than i.

with that in mind, i ask this- what makes you think the bracelet end links are no good? i'll admit that i rarely even look at the bracelets as it's fairly low on my list of things i care about, but in my rapidly aging eye, they don't seem off.

as to your other concerns, yeah...the prices are silly. but they apparently sold an unremarkable manual wind eterna for 2k. and this kon tiki is in really nice shape. i find it one of the more reasonable offers on that site. why, i'd be willing to pay at least 500 for that watch on ebay if i didn't already have too many kon tikis. i don't know if comparing eterna prices to omega prices makes much sense though. omega prices are stupid across the board.

i like this post. we need more vintage watch curmudgeons keeping an eye on things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At the Shop, hardly anything is reasonable. Some watches with fairly stable average prices, like Datejusts, tend to sell for the average, but the prices of watches by not quite as well known (or completely unknown) manufacturers tend to be beyond mad there. It might be at the more reasonable end of their price spectrum, but the spectrum itself is pretty far from reasonable, and so, hardly anything within it is even close to "reasonable."

As to the bracelet end links, look at the sides of them- there is a substantial gap between the edges of them, and the sides of the lugs, as if these end links were never meant to fit that case. Besides, the Donkeys have sold watches with bracelets, that although OEM, were not meant for a particular watch.

If you look at watches from manufacturers of the same tier as Eterna, and at Eternas alright, the end links are usually a snug fit. I seriously doubt that something of that sort would have gone past the Eterna QC unnoticed.
    Last edited by mkws; June 8th, 2017 at 01:30.
    Wibbs and KP-99 like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    At the Shop, hardly anything is reasonable. Some watches with fairly stable average prices, like Datejusts, tend to sell for the average, but the prices of watches by not quite as well known (or completely unknown) manufacturers tend to be beyond mad there. It might be at the more reasonable end of their price spectrum, but the spectrum itself is pretty far from reasonable, and so, hardly anything within it is even close to "reasonable."

As to the bracelet end links, look at the sides of them- there is a substantial gap between the edges of them, and the sides of the lugs, as if these end links were never meant to fit that case. Besides, the Donkeys have sold watches with bracelets, that although OEM, were not meant for a particular watch.

If you look at watches from manufacturers of the same tier as Eterna, and at Eternas alright, the end links are usually a snug fit. I seriously doubt that something of that sort would have went past the Eterna QC unnoticed.
    At the shop nothing is reasonable but madly unreasonable , foolish and insane.They are doing the same thing that two well known French vintage watch sellers who sell beyond everage condition watches use to do. Loads of flattering, useless and unrealistic bs. Looks like Hoddinkee shop buyers are either ignorant so let buy them the worst condition pieces (as said before in bring a brain XI "a fool and his money are always parted", yes always), so it will make more good stuff for knowledgeable people. Their prices are the ones practised by not so honest people or should I say politely and very mildly crooks.The prices are grossly overpriced, jacked up and unjustified.
    Last edited by georges zaslavsky; June 7th, 2017 at 21:50.
    Wibbs, esdy_11192, KP-99 and 1 others like this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I hope you all have enjoyed it, and as always- Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    I did, and it will be necessary. That's a given. TBH I liked the site at first. It was another site I could peruse and liked the various videos with collectors, but latterly? Their level of utter BS is beyond rancid and it's all about convincing their Manhattanite hipster audience that they're the outlet one can trust. And buy from at massively inflated prices for all too often shabby watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    I did, and it will be necessary. That's a given. TBH I liked the site at first. It was another site I could peruse and liked the various videos with collectors, but latterly? Their level of utter BS is beyond rancid and it's all about convincing their Manhattanite hipster audience that they're the outlet one can trust. And buy from at massively inflated prices for all too often shabby watches.
    Well, little doubt do I have, that next instalments of the series will be necessary indeed. They kept it civilised for a few months, now their dreadful writing and fleecing are back on a full scale... When for a long time they stuck to Rolexes and Pateks, and wrote nothing particularly outrageous, I knew that such a state of things is unlikely to last long, and looks like I wasn't mistaken.
    Wibbs likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Always a good read, and I for one happen to learn a lot from your posts. Thanks!
    georges zaslavsky and mkws like this.

Thread Information