Bring a Brain XIII
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XIII

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bring a Brain XIII

Lads and lasses, welcome to yet another instalment of this little "watchdog" series, which, I assume, does not need an introduction. This week, we'll talk about fleecing, the inability to spot what's obvious, and unsavoury practices in journalism. This is your Bring a Brain!

First, the watches that our dear friends, who don't cease to provide me with rant-worthy content, have up for sale.

Let's start with this Universal Geneve:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...eference-21284

First of all, it's dreadfully overpriced- by some 2400-2500 bucks. Second, no movement picture. Third, the UG serials are available online, but again, no one has even bothered to google them out... Fixed lug bars, OK, but on a NATO it's like wearing an Aloha shirt to a tuxedo.

Next, a Gigandet/Wakmann, and some truly spectacular powers of observation in action:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=46988466639

The price is disgusting, that's one thing. But the real fun starts here: "Lume: Tritium." Pardon me, my observant friends, but if that's tritium, then what are the "RA" markings for radium doing by the "Swiss" inscription? It's radium, for crying out loud! The "small nicks to screw openings on caseback" part is highly euphemistic, considering how deep these scratches are.

Now, some true madness- a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...spec-in-bronze

I've got one question. How? How, by Jove, can one be selling a watch for $65K, and not even include a movement picture? How?!

An Omega Seamaster "Fleecing Fest":
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=46988687247

Wildly overpriced. If it isn't a Flightmaster, it's not to be called Flightmaster, because it isn't one! Second, while the movement serial likely points to 1970, that movement comes from an earlier production run- since the ref. 166.090 has been introduced in 1971, so that's the earliest when this watch could have been made. That price is a joke, when we talk of cal. 1002- which, for one, was hardly Omega at its finest, and two- it's dirt common, with a total production of the calibres 1000 and 1002 being circa 370 000 units.

Also, there's one rather suspicious Eberhard:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=46037523791

The quality of the printing on the subdials looks slightly off, the paint appears to be creeping up the dial's applied features.

Now, let's move to something else. The unsavoury cooperation with TAG Heuer, on the recent limited edition reissue of the Heuer Skipper:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...r-for-hodinkee

It is a pretty watch, I jest you not. Verily, it is. But I really don't like the cooperations between the "watch media" and manufacturers. Any cooperation between a news company (be it TV news, a radio station, a newspaper, or a watch website) and an entity that it reports on and the products of which it reviews, make any review questionable. Just as any journalist should not report on people or institutions, to whom or which they are connected through family or financial ties, Hoodwinkee should not do these cooperations. While it isn't illegal, it comes across as unsavoury, and reduces the credibility of their coverage of the company and its products to pretty much zero.
    That's the second cooperation between Hoodwinkee and an LVMH-owned and JCB-run company, the previous one being the Zenith LE for Hoodwinkee. The hype constantly generated by Hoodwinkee for vintage Heuers and Zeniths is, in the light of that, very unsettling. Almost as if they were seeking to drive these brands out of the range of the average collector, in order to send him right into the welcoming arms of TAG Heuer and Zenith, who instead will offer a reissue at a lower price. That's of course just my hypothesis based on connecting the dots, but out of these dots connected, a rather sordid image emerges.

That's all for this instalment of Bring a Brain- I hope you have enjoyed the horror stories, and as always, Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Bring a Brain XIII

Lord have mercy! Just a comment on the first one: I see that on eBay (with movement picture!) for US$ 250,00 - or make offer.

"... the case is perfectly proportioned and has a well-sized subsidiary dial." What a rubbish!
    busmatt and mkws like this.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, thank you. And learned a few things too.
    Please tell me this really is a series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mkws and Border-Reiver like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another great instalment, the Omega actually looks nice but it's well over priced, I see it as £500-600 worth serviced in a watchmakers and £300-400 on eBay

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    mkws and Border-Reiver like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Make a Vlog, I'd watch!
    mkws, Border-Reiver and DC guy like this.
    Damasko DA46 Black
    Seiko 5 vintage (1969)

Tag Heuer 2000 Classic (1990)
    Omega Seamaster vintage (mid 60's)
    Omega Seamaster 2254.50 Peter Blake
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 (sold)
    Timex Q (reissue)

Quote Originally Posted by Pmnealhsd View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed that, thank you. And learned a few things too.
    Please tell me this really is a series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It is really a series alright, and, as in the thread title, it's already the 13th instalment... Glad you like it!
    Pmnealhsd and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Very enjoyable and enlightening.
    mkws and georges zaslavsky like this.

Gigandet, Omega, and Eberhard are sold. Unbelievable.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

As mkws has pointed out before, the hypocrisy is unbelievable. Here's a direct quote from a 2015 Hodinkee article on buying watches on eBay:

"If there was direct water on the dial, that can often mean the movement was exposed to water and may now be rusty. The latter is particularly concerning when the seller does not have movement photos for whatever reason (they don’t know how to open the case back, are afraid to damage anything when they open the case back, or they simply don't want to show the movement because it is incomplete or in bad shape)."

So which one is it for the Hoodwinkers' store, I wonder?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    badbackdan, mkws, busmatt and 4 others like this.

How long until John Mayer snatches up the Blancpain, BTW?? 🎼🎸

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information