Bring a Brain XV
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bring a Brain XV

And, it's back! Bring a Brain is necessary again. Truth be told, not as much as previously, though. I'm most pleased to see movement pictures appearing in almost every listing. And, finally, the case back pictures. After many, many Bring a Brain instalments, I'm genuinely pleased to see that it made something of a change.

Still, there are a few things from the last few weeks, that need to be addressed, and they will be. Lads and lasses, this is your Bring a Brain!

First, this Omega:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...-explorer-dial

"Explorer dial." Ummmm...how about no? For one, the Explorer doesn't have an Arabic numeral at 12, and second, this pertains mostly to tool watch dials with lumed numerals, which this one isn't. Style-wise, it has about as much to do with the Rolex Explorer as Bernie Madoff with integrity.
    But the movement would be my primary concern. The rust on the balance cock is just lovely, isn't it? Also, if someone would like to offer an explanation for why it's apparently the only such rust-coated part of the movement, that would be great.

Also, I have certain doubts about that dial - it could have been bloody well repainted, or it's a later service replacement. For one, the A in "Automatic" should have a flat top, which isn't the case here. The whole "Automatic" text looks somewhat iffy to me. Also, the A in Omega looks far too narrow, which is inconsistent with late 1950s Omega font. Should be a wide A or a flat-top A. The quality and alignment of the minute track are somewhat suspicious as well (look at 8 o'clock...). Now, because Omega didn't really make a lot of black-dialed non-tool watches back then, all these signs combined with the black dial are rather incriminating.

Now, another Omega:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=49296111695

At first glance, nothing looks out of place. At first glance. I'm not quite sure if these hands go with that dial - that style of hour markers in the 105.001 was almost always (at least i haven't seen an exception...) paired with alpha hands. The batons were mostly used in combination with straight markers with a pointed end. They aren't incorrect for the reference; I'm just rather suspicious about them belonging with this particular dial version of ref. 105.001.
    The end links look veeeery loose, and slightly too short for the lugs. Long story short, I don't think that bracelet (and these end links) belongs on this watch. Well, the bracelet may or may not belong on it, but at least the end links are more than suspicious in that respect.

Let's move on to the Jaeger Rustmaster:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=48529117327

Appears to be missing a case screw, but that's the least of its problems. The rotor and the inner side of the back apparently are evidence of the case not having been very good at doing its job of keeping water out. I believe that piece of evidence is scientifically referred to as iron oxide, and of what we - the regular non-chemist chaps - say "IT'S RUST, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!"

Next in line is this Zenith Sporto:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...nt=48776637455

First of all, it's heavily overpriced - on the contrary to the hype text, Sporto was an entry level collection. There isn't really much "utilitarian purpose" to it, as it's got a not-very-utilitarian press-in back. Also, from my experience with press-in backs, I'm unwilling to call them "sturdy." Whether the hands are "pencil" or not, that's likely debatable - although pencil hands tend to have an elongated tip, which these don't.
    Also, the movement has not been correctly identified. As it has Incabloc, it is not the base calibre 126, but a cal. 126-6. The suffix does matter.

That's it for today's Bring a Brain - until the next instalment! And, of course, Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    Last edited by mkws; September 14th, 2017 at 04:23.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Bring a Brain XV

Thanks for posting that. I agree on practically all those comments. The Omega with rusty balance cock seems to have different gold plating on different movement parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a complete Frankenwatch. I couldn't believe the JLC, though. A watch from the Grande Maison, the company with more in house movements than any other - with an ordinary ETA 2783?!! With no engraving on the movement, just a printed logo?!! Come off it - if that's genuine, it must have been an extreme entry level budget model!!! And most certainly not worth three and a half thousand bucks!

Hartmut Richter
    mkws and georges zaslavsky like this.

jaeger looks terrible :O
    and the strap on the Sporto, whats up with the stitching, did they stitch with legs :DD
    mkws and benpal like this.
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jaeger and JLC have at some point split - i.e. the watch wasn't made by JLC. The Jaeger company after the split was known for its car instrument panels (speedometers, rev counters, odometers...) - Jaeger watches (not JLC), as such, are rather run-of-the-mill pieces. And indeed, budget ones. Sadly, the former (and thus inexistent after the split) ties are being used to hype these watches, and to sell them at prices quite as obscene as this one.

As to the Omega, that was (and is) my thought as well - that it's a redial with a movement cobbled from parts of a few different movements. The calibre matches the case, but at this point, this doesn't really matter, if the movement has been frankenised - the watch is just as undesirable as if it was a total franken in terms of a case/movement mismatch.
    Last edited by mkws; September 13th, 2017 at 22:24.
    georges zaslavsky likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Omega #1 and Omega #2 look like they're wearing the same exact ( ill-fitting) bracelet.....
    Last edited by marks55; September 13th, 2017 at 22:25.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    Omega #1 and Omega #2 look like they're wearing the same exact bracelet.....
    Not that I haven't thought the same, but I don't think they are- the outer links are slightly different.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

That Jaeger is just a standard mediocre diver, and should not sell at JLC prices.
    mkws, pamaro, marks55 and 1 others like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

This Jaeger and Le Coultre thing has come up on the Forum before, a year or two ago? I think there's some sort of
    obscure relationship there, but it's more like calling a Sicura a Breitling
    pamaro likes this.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Apparently the last time lesson wasn't learned enough, eh? There is still a consistency in Hoddinkee's mediocrity and an unwillingness to scam potential buyers with junkpile condition or even franken watches. And their so called watchmaker, excuse me but if Hoddinkee claims that their watches are serviced without any bill or proof of service, I call that a fraud passible of legal action with a court prosecution...Seriously how can one sell watches at such unreasonable prices? That is borderline crookery to me.
    Last edited by georges zaslavsky; September 14th, 2017 at 09:53.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    That Jaeger is just a standard mediocre diver, and should not sell at JLC prices.
    It is good to destroy with a hammer
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast