Bring a Brain XX
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XX

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Off Topic post Bring a Brain XX

Hello and welcome to the 20th instalment of the Bring a Brain series, your favourite comedy/watchdog/education/entertainment series! Yes, for the twentieth time already, Bring a Brain brings you the best of the worst fails, for everyone to laugh and learn! This time, BaB is back with more bad research and shameless fleecing from The Advertorial Site, as well as YouTube "gurus!" Lasses and lads, this is your Bring a Brain!

First, this Rolex Datejust ref. 1601:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...=1558734962703

The calibre has obviously been misidentified. Again. It's not the 1570, but the 1575, since the 1570 is a no-date movement. This one is quite definitely not from 1963, for one good reason. The 157X family has been introduced in 1965, two years later. Now here's the good question: does this fit within a permissible interval between Rolex cases and movements, or is this a frankenwatch. Depends on whether the date stamp on the case dates the entire watch, or only the batch of cases. If the entire watch, then it's a franken.
    Not to mention, that the movement is worn and looks like a pigsty.
    Besides, they've put "N/A" in lume description, while the watch has lume alright. Without T markings, most likely radium.

Now, this obscenely overpriced Omega PW:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...l-pocket-watch

This is an absolutely obscene price for any Omega pocket watch, especially for one made well after the heyday of the PW. Just an average model, with a wristwatch movement inside. Besides, exactly how the hell is 56mm an "oversize" for a pocket watch?!

Now, a Tudor Rustmariner:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...=1558638198799
    "Tudor 2484" = ETA 2452.
    Just look at that rust and filth by the balance cock. Oh, dear. So, case tampered with, movement filthy and rusty.

Next, this UG:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...=1558708649999

It's not a "crosshair" dial, that's one thing. Unless someone has ever seen a crosshair consisting of one line... The shape of the lugs is hardly "bombe."

Now, this Heuer Autavia:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...-by-jack-heuer

The description is, of course, an ode to Jack Heuer. The contents of the letter would suggest, that this specimen was apparently notorious for breaking down. Not the best advertisement...

Now, some gems from another lot of "experts", this time it's the YouTube ones.
    UG Poleruster:
    https://theoandharris.com/vintage-watch-shop/vintage-watches/universal-geneve-polerouter-7/

Rust, rust, rust, rust, rust, fleecing, rust.

Marvin alarm:
    https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa.../marvin-alarm/

Overpriced, alarm hand likely refinished, case with serious plating loss on the right flank and lugs.

Now, this Tudor:
    https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa...-oyster-royal/

Exactly how is the Tudor 1156 an "automatic winding" movement? It's a hand-wound one. Guys, did you even look at the movement? Run-of-the-mill piece, obscene rarity claims.

That's all for this instalment. Hope you've enjoyed the horror stories. There likely won't be another instalment until after New Year. As always, Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Bring a Brain XX

This thread (and its brothers) should be renamed "Please someone prescribe me Xanax, cos' I'm so full of hate"...

Please Sir, I beg of you, seek help.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

I, for one, applaud your community service and look forward to many Bring a Brains in the coming year. If speaking truth is hate, keep on hatin'.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I look forward to every episode. Thank you for your critical evaluations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mkws, simpletreasures and MaiLollo like this.

I love the series. Please keep it up.
    Tudor/Omega/Oris/Longines/Hamilton/Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by mougino View Post
    This thread (and its brothers) should be renamed "Please someone prescribe me Xanax, cos' I'm so full of hate"...

Please Sir, I beg of you, seek help.
    You sir obviously can't comprehend the purpose (and the good) that these threads have achieved!

My suggestion to you is feel free to pass up these threads.
    mkws and Tony C. like this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    You sir obviously can't comprehend the purpose (and the good) that these threads have achieved!

My suggestion to you is feel free to pass up these threads.
    People reading these threads are WIS, hence the added value is zero. If the OP warned potential (noob) buyers in the respective sells he points out, that would be another thing. But writing here on WUS the sarcastic way that he writes is pointless... If you still maintain OP is not a hater, have a look at his avatar... (point made)
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

While the tone is definitely acrid, there is no denying that most or even all of the criticisms have substance. I am not sure whether there is real hatred in the text (although I will admit that it does sound somewhat like that), but it is quite clear that there is a strong element of being fed up to the back teeth. And I have to say that I share this feeling. The prices are distinctly in excess of what is - or was (there has unfortunately been an inflationary effect, probably due to sales just like this!) - asked elsewhere. For that money, I would expect, nay: demand! top quality and excellent advice and representation of the ware being advertised. And when you then find unserviced watches ("more original that way"!), missing movement pictures and information clearly showing that they didn't do their homework and on occasion even clear frankenwatches, it is easy to understand how a large amount of frustration builds up here.

As to whether this forum is frequented only by WIS so that the newbies aren't warned, the latter may not show their heads much but they do wander in here too. Even if the WIS outnumber them, if only one of them is warned early enough to prevent them from making a huge mistake, it will certainly have been worth it all.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by mougino View Post
    People reading these threads are WIS, hence the added value is zero. If the OP warned potential (noob) buyers in the respective sells he points out, that would be another thing. But writing here on WUS the sarcastic way that he writes is pointless... If you still maintain OP is not a hater, have a look at his avatar... (point made)
    For what it's worth, the 14th instalment of the series had north of 6000 views - I doubt that the resident WIS alone have managed to view it that many times. It's an open forum, except for the WIS there's a ton of lurkers, including a lot of people who are making their first steps in the hobby, or are about to make their first step into it. I think that every chance of steering them away from the perils of the hobby is a chance worth taking. Besides, I believe the Romans would strongly disagree with a claim, that a forum is not the place for presenting views on something and making said views reach a wider audience, which, after all, is a key part of the process of exchanging views. Which, in turn, is what forums are about.

It so happens, that it takes a sense of humour to understand certain things, the lack of which sense in my considered opinion constitutes a mind of inferior capabilities.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    It's an open forum, except for the WIS there's a ton of lurkers, including a lot of people who are making their first steps in the hobby, or are about to make their first step into it.
    I find that WUS has quite a good google presence as well. Before I was an active member, I often found relevant threads when searching for information about particular watches and/or vendors.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information