Bring a Brain XXIII
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XXIII

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bring a Brain XXIII

Hello and welcome to the 23rd instalment of Bring a Brain, the watchdog series, which, as always, brings you some entertainment, info, and, if you're behind the content featured, possibly some grey hair. In this instalment, we will look at - among other things - the learning amplitude: learn, forget, learn, forget...the same thing.
    Lads and lasses...you have waited long enough, and here it is! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge...This is your Bring a Braaaaain!!!

As always, we'll start with the usual suspects...

First up, this Longines:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...2100649975883#
    So, you're telling me that an approximate year of manufacture is OK when researching a Longines?

Nope.

Oh, by the way, it dates to 1966, not 1960. "Circa 1960" would be, like, 1959 or 1961. 1966, I'd say that's quite far off.

The replacement pusher is the icing on the cake.

Now, let's move on to a rather fascinating phenomenon, shown in two Rolex listings. First, this Air-King-Date:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12089485983819
    Some rather nasty pitting ("case back shows nicks") on the case back (of the not-so-well restored case) aside, here's the star of the show: they have finally acknowledged, that it's the cal. 1525, not 1520... Well done, I've mentioned that for, like, three instalments, if not more. Good job.

On second thoughts, I take that back. Not a good job. Here's a watch from the newest batch in the shop:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12100209082443
    "Caliber: Rolex self-winding movement caliber 1570." No. It's the 1575. 1570 is a no-date. So, they just learned something new, and now they forget. Lesson one: don't have goldfish do the movement ID.

Let's move on to something else. Like, this Omega:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12100434460747
    Here's the good question: if the pic of the inner side of the back is there, why would the movement pic notbe there? Oh, and the date window looks odd...at least the frame of it does look odd. "By the pricking of my thumbs..."

Now, another Omega:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12089473728587
    The difference in the colour of the lume on the dial and hands is beyond suspicious. Assuming that's actually lume on the hands, because it looks more like black inlay, which doesn't go with a lumed dial. Two-word summary: this stinks.

It's time to look at the listings from another source...

First up for barrage, this Omega:
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...318-5-cal-30t2
    "Dial: untouched authentic excellent condition." Amazingly, not a word of this description is true. Just look at the font! The crooked M, tilted and narrow A (should be "flat-top!")...
    "Professionally polished..." How nice. Let us honour this victim of capecodclothicide with a minute of silence.

Now, this Doxa:
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...-tropical-dial
    Just for starters - no movement pic, and yet there is a pic of the inner side of the case back.
    So, this is a replated piece, no movement pic included, for way more than a nice and unmolested specimen of the "Pie-Pan" Constellation. How about no?

How about this replated Tissot...
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...guilloche-dial
    ...priced at 7500 euro? What a joke.
    Oh, and this pattern is called snailing, not guilloche.
    So, maybe this 6500 euro replated Tissot?
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...-chro-ref-6201
    No. It's a joke all the same.

That would be all for this instalment of Bring a Brain. Hope ye lads and lasses have enjoyed it, and as always...Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Bring a Brain XXIII

hhahahah, excellent as usual, looks like that the watchmakers at hoodwinkee and vintage caliber are big dolts. As usual overpriced crap all the way around. Luis or not Luis, Jack Forster and his hoodwinkee team are a bunch of crooks
    mkws, johndozier and ManOnTime like this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

How I feel after reading their hogwash.....

Name:  dramatics.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  41.0 KB
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    First up for barrage, this Omega:
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...318-5-cal-30t2
    "Dial: untouched authentic excellent condition." Amazingly, not a word of this description is true. Just look at the font! The crooked M, tilted and narrow A (should be "flat-top!")...
    Entertaining and educational as usual.

I'm curious about your rule-of-thumb for the "A" in "OMEGA" (flat-top vs. pointed). I'm pretty sure I have seen pointed "A" dials in catalogs from the mid-40s (if you force me, I'll dig up some examples from the OVD ), but I also recall seeing the flat-top "A" in the 30s. And there were also the dials with OMEGA in italics. Was there a sharp demarcation year when the font switched to the pointed A?

Edit: Well, now I've been doing a bit of research on the Omega font (mainly using the OVD, advertising, and catalogs, but also looking at some watches), and it seems to me that the late 1930s and 1940s were a complicated time period, with several different styles used for the letters in "OMEGA" in the same era. Very curious if you have observed a clear pattern, or if each reference must be researched individually.
    Last edited by badbackdan; April 12th, 2018 at 10:56.
    mkws and georges zaslavsky like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Entertaining and educational as usual.

I'm curious about your rule-of-thumb for the "A" in "OMEGA" (flat-top vs. pointed). I'm pretty sure I have seen pointed "A" dials in catalogs from the mid-40s (if you force me, I'll dig up some examples from the OVD ), but I also recall seeing the flat-top "A" in the 30s. And there were also the dials with OMEGA in italics. Was there a sharp demarcation year when the font switched to the pointed A?

Edit: Well, now I've been doing a bit of research on the Omega font (mainly using the OVD, advertising, and catalogs, but also looking at some watches), and it seems to me that the late 1930s and 1940s were a complicated time period, with several different styles used for the letters in "OMEGA" in the same era. Very curious if you have observed a clear pattern, or if each reference must be researched individually.
    Dials with "Omega" in italics don't seem to appear on watches later than 1937/1938.
    A more pointed A did appear in the 1940s, but still, it was the wide A. The one on the watch in question is a narrow A, rather obviously tilted to the left. Note how the letters are completely not in line, top of the O is well below the M and E... It's a mess.

The pattern is rather loose, and there were a few variations, but not one of them quite as messy as this font.
    badbackdan likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Dials with "Omega" in italics don't seem to appear on watches later than 1937/1938.
    A more pointed A did appear in the 1940s, but still, it was the wide A. The one on the watch in question is a narrow A, rather obviously tilted to the left. Note how the letters are completely not in line, top of the O is well below the M and E... It's a mess.

The pattern is rather loose, and there were a few variations, but not one of them quite as messy as this font.
    Absolutely, I wasn't questioning that this watch is redialed. The font is crooked and sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Absolutely, I wasn't questioning that this watch is redialed. The font is crooked and sloppy.
    That it is indeed. Nevertheless, I forgot to answer your question, when did the pointed A replace the flat-top. That would be circa 1957-1958, I believe. At least until that period, the flat-top seems to have been the most often used Omega font. I don't think I've seen a single flat-top made after 1960, not sure about 1959, but I don't think it was around anymore.
    georges zaslavsky likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Excellent read
    mkws likes this.
    This spring, I will do Everest without oxygen. I did all my peaks without oxygen except Everest. I just want to continue be happy, doing what I love—climbing mountains.
    Edurne Pasaban Lizarribar

I look forward to these posts, excellent as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mkws likes this.

I guess it was inevitable, but now someone is trying to market his watch by promoting the fact that he purchased it from Hodinkee. He is even using the photos from the H website. The most ironic part is that one of the major flaw mentioned involves damage to the case-back (presumably over-polishing), but none of the photos show the case-back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-s-Vinta...19.m1438.l2649
    georges zaslavsky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information