Bring a Brain XXV
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XXV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post Bring a Brain XXV

Welcome, lads and lasses, to yet another episode of Bring a Brain, your favourite watchdog/comedy series! In this instalment, we will cover features that aren't described as what they are, features that aren't there, and we'll welcome a new star of the show, with a ton of redials and other horrors.
    The game's afoot! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge... This is your Bring a Brain!

Obviously, as always, we will start with the "usual suspects."

First, this Omega Constellation:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12186208665675

Ummm... No, it's not "gold plated." This particular case material combination is known as gold-cap. Gold-cap usually features a thickly plated or solid gold bezel, plated lugs, but a steel main body of the case. It's not the same as "gold plated", as a gold plated case features a base metal main body and bezel.

Next, this Le Jour chrono:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...12195701653579

That lume... So not convincing. Whoa, whoa. So, you want to tell me, that the dial lume is pale beige, but the lume on the hands, and especially the chrono seconds hand, has turned almost black? If these pieces were exposed to the same levels of sunlight, air humidity and so on, the difference would be nowhere near as visible.
    But the best part comes here, in the condition assessment: "The chronograph is starting, stopping, and resetting well and the date is advancing correctly at this time." OK... Date? Did you notice that it doesn't have a date? By Jove, look at the reliability of the date complication on this one! It's not there, but it's still advancing correctly! Yay!

Let's move on to what's likely the most clueless shop and YouTube channel around. Known for nauseating videos and an utter lack of knowledge...Lads and lasses, Theo & Harris! Funnily enough, there's actually no Theo or a Harris there, they just picked a fancy name to attract the posh and even more clueless - and that should tell you all that you need to know...

Omega, ummm... "Pre-Seamaster?"
    https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa...pre-seamaster/

Christ on a bike! Such a display of research skills...and of such a massive knowledge of Omega. Now, dear Theo & Harris (it's so odd to address people who don't even exist, isn't it?), it's no rare "pre-Seamaster." Reference 2576 is a Seamaster.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...-omega-ck-2576
    Perhaps you would know that, if you knew a little bit more than nothing about Omega, that including the nature of unsigned models belonging to named collections. And if you'd know how to use the OVD, which apparently you have failed to do, entirely.

Now, this Omega Geneve:
    https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa...ega-geneve-29/

"Manual-winding 501 caliber." Oh, really? What if I told you, that it's a 601, because the 501 was an automatic movement? Besides, the dial is likely an old service replacement, as the font is incorrect for 1969.

That's it for the Knowers of Nothing. Right now, let's all bow to the King of Cape Cod!

Let's have a look at this Patek:
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collections/all/products/1955-patek-philippe-ref-570-calatrava

Replacement dial, overpolished case. What a lovely way to spend 16 500 euro!

A rather sad-looking Omega chrono:
    https://vintagecaliber.com/collectio...-3-chronograph
    is it a "ghost dial" or just a "ghost of the dial", because most of it is no longer there? Outer scale, gone, font - damaged. Badly overpolished lugs.

I could well list all of their watches in Bring a Brain. Almost all have been tampered with. They only seem to leave Speedmasters be, every now and then.

Last, but by no means least, let us welcome a new star of the show, the owner of the most dishonest auction house in the world (specializing in auctioning fake Panerais), and a seller of redials himself. Lads and lasses, Romain Rea!

First up for barrage, this Breguet...
    breguet classic stainless steel circa 1950
    ...or is it even a Breguet at all? Without any movement shots, there's no telling if it is. Of course, not a single listing of his have movement shots. However, it is at best a redial - look at the misaligned sub-second crosshair!

Now, this Longines:
    LONGINES JUMBO - Romain Réa
    A redial so obvious, that it hurts the eyes.

And then there's this Omega Ranchero:
    OMEGA RANCHERO 1st GENERATION
    Oh, by Jove, you don't think it's a legit dial, do you, monsieur Rea? Blotchy lume, wrong and shoddy font, the minute track and numerals are beyond reminiscent of Bombay Specials.

A Ulysse Nardin chrono...
    Ulysse Nardin Chronograph - Pink gold, Mint condition, Year: 1940
    ...which is obviously a redial, and hell knows if not a South American fake.

An Omega Constellation...
    OMEGA CONSTELLATION DE LUXE - Romain Réa
    ...which is one of the worst redials that I've seen on any Constellation, ever.

Obviously, no movement shots, and no prices, so that the clueless snobs' vanity is tickled by the necessity of calling them to get to know the price, or ideally, to dish out more than the asking price without knowing the asking price. I have only one thing to say of that business of his - it repels me.

That's it for today's Bring a Brain, lads and lasses. Until next time, and as always, Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Bring a Brain XXV

Congrats on this great topic and let's the heavy unremitting flak against these crooks continues.
    Hodinkee people know nothing about Omegas and especially Constellation so I am not sure they have ever heard of the gold cap Omega

Regarding the Lejour, it is in very mediocre condition, the caseback has deep scratches. And what the hell at the valjoux 72 having a date????!!!!The guy who wrote the ad must have been on crack.
    Regarding Theo & Harris a 501 caliber shouldn't ever been found in a watch from 1969.
    The Patek isn't period correct indeed. About the 33.3 chrono it shouldn't be even sold at 2000$ because it is borderline to junkpile condition with an almost crapped up to dead condition dial.
    Romain Rea is the new owner of Antiquorum so even on chrono24, the prices are on request and you will never ever see a single movement picture. I have been at one of his shop 19 years ago that was enough for me to discourage several potential buyers to buy anything from him. I also got one of his sellers, a chick called Kamy Puybonneux, banned from most of the horological groups where she tried to sell her rubbish.
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; June 29th, 2018 at 00:12.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

mkws likes this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Manual-winding 501 caliber" ... that's a classic.
    busmatt and mkws like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

the "King of Cape Cod" Vintage Caliber offers some funny reading - when you click on the "About our pricing" he explains "What defines the price tag".

can't deep link, but really quite amusing, we learn that: "Using our expertise to find an absolutely correct piece in the best possible condition (avoiding damaged cases, redone dials, and swapped parts at all costs). "

and, "Being honest with the seller and offering honest price. Top condition costs top dollar."

rofl. "watchsmuggler" was a better fit, Simon.

mkws, busmatt, esdy_11192 and 1 others like this.

As usual, great stuff! That's like digging for dung in a muckheap with less than 10% straw.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; June 28th, 2018 at 14:35.

Good stuff, though one nit to pick. I think that you are on shaky ground with the Le Jour lume critique, as the lighting and color correction is so different from photo to photo.

The one in which the watch is shown next to sunglasses is probably the most accurate, and I have seen plenty of original examples with such differences between and hand and dial lume. Remember, because of the weight issue, the amount of lume used in hands was typically far less than on the dial, and this helps to account for such differences.
    esdy_11192, James A, mkws and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Good stuff, though one nit to pick. I think that you are on shaky ground with the Le Jour lume critique, as the lighting and color correction is so different from photo to photo.

The one in which the watch is shown next to sunglasses is probably the most accurate, and I have seen plenty of original examples with such differences between and hand and dial lume. Remember, because of the weight issue, the amount of lume used in hands was typically far less than on the dial, and this helps to account for such differences.
    True. I wouldn't expect the aging to be completely uniform - the very dark aging to the chrono seconds hand lume and the rather pale one on the dial is simply a difference enough to make me think, that something is out of place there. Not necessarily "it's definitely wrong", but more like "it is possible that it's wrong."
    Tony C. and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Nice to see BaB branching out into other sellers!

A bit of variety never hurt anyone and there's plenty of love to go around ;)

Great write up as always MKWS. I like a chuckle in my lunch break!
    busmatt and mkws like this.
    Just one guy giving his honest opinions on all things wristwatch.

Follow me using the links below:
    BLOG - INSTAGRAM - YOUTUBE - FACEBOOK

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would once again remind everyone that, in their enthusiasm to unmask the advertising of horological wares at high prices with low content of information/accuracy, we should not let our language get carried away. One post here has been moderated for that reason already. Furthermore, the very first issue (gold capped vs. gold plated) might be considered nitpicking so Hodinkee is down to only one obviously shady advert this time round - it looks as if the message might be getting through to them. As for the others, I won't spare them the criticism - definite improvements are obviously necessary there.....

Hartmut Richter
    esdy_11192 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information