Bring a Brain XXXII
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Bring a Brain XXXII

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,502

    Bring a Brain XXXII

    Hello and welcome, lads and lasses, to Bring a Brain, your favourite comedy/watchdog series! Today, we'll look at yet another round of the usual stuff... Without further ado... Cry "Havoc!," and let slip the dogs of war!

    As always, we'll start with rounding up the Usual Suspects.

    First, this Zenith Victorious:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...28590580793419
    What you should know, but Hodinkee won't tell you: the upper left lug is bent. Besides, just look at how the lugs interact with the strap - the lower lugs have the strap loose between them, the upper part of the strap has the upper left lug chew right into the band...
    The dial is also a wee bit unsettling. First of all, that's not a Zenith font I've seen on any Victorious. Second, it seems oddly fat, and shrinks from left to right... All the applied features seem to have a rather odd effect around them.

    Then, let's look at this Crumpet...Crouton...no, Croton:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...28590592327755
    Their assessment of condition as "very good" is pretty far from the truth, especially when you look at the movement:
    Name:  1539-CrotonChronomaster-Movement.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  447.2 KB
    There's rust on the clutch, and all the wheels have a dulled surface with visible stains. This hasn't been serviced for a LONG time. Filth and debris on plates as well. The pushers are a repository of all manner of filth.
    Oh, and did someone try to open the back with a compass or a chisel?

    Now, this gold Rolex:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...28136945156171
    Hmmm... "Minor darkening on the center of the dial?" These, dear H-Boyos, are radium burns. Not like they don't notice them, only it doesn't appear like they know what these are.

    Now, this UG pocket watch:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...28590652194891
    Why, that's a very long and laborious ode to what's simply a run-of-the-mill 1960s PW powered by an ordinary wristwatch movement.

    Let's have a look at the column to which BaB owes its name...
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-may-17

    ...and one listing they've hyped:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1950s-M...orig_cvip=true
    It's not about what's there, as much as it's about what isn't there, and what happens not to be there, is a movement picture. Swell.


    Let us move on to another venue - the Knowers of Nothing. Lads and lasses, T&H.

    An Omega...
    https://theoandharris.com/shop/vinta...ches/omega-27/
    ...with an uber-coveted Disintegrating Dial. Yeah, well, if anything can be said of it, it's that it's falling apart. This mangled FUBAR dial can be yours for 1915 USD.

    Another Omega, this time a Geneve Dynamic:
    https://theoandharris.com/shop/vinta...eneve-dynamic/
    "Patina throughout." Ummm, no, that's not patina.


    It's time for another dealer, which I believe is really up for being a regular feature at BaB, as I've said in the previous instalment. Lads and lasses, Wannabuyawatch!

    Anyone up for paying 13.5 grand for a redialed Patek?
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/p...g-circa-1950s/
    Dial repainted by Orangutan Restorations Limited. The cost of such a repaint must be absolutely bananas.

    Or, maybe this "beautifully restored" VC?
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/v...ntin-18k-yg-2/
    Fantasy font.

    Rolex Ganjust:
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/r...go-circa-1967/
    The dial is a complete and utter redial, hands relumed, dial lume missing...

    Hmmm, no...so how about $1600 for this run-of-the-mill, gold plated quartz?
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/c...circa-1980s-4/

    See, it's not that I don't wanna buy a watch. I just don't want that garbage, and not from you.



    That's all for this instalment of Bring a Brain. Take care, and Bring a Brain will return if necessary!
    Dan S, busmatt, James A and 5 others like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  2. #2
    Member simpletreasures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    You always know how to activate my "Gag Reflex" and tickle my funny bone!
    mkws likes this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

  3. #3
    Member eddiea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Perfect.
    mkws likes this.
    This spring, I will do Everest without oxygen. I did all my peaks without oxygen except Everest. I just want to continue be happy, doing what I love—climbing mountains.
    Edurne Pasaban Lizarribar

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,037

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Anyone up for paying 13.5 grand for a redialed Patek?
    https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/p...g-circa-1950s/
    Dial repainted by Orangutan Restorations Limited. The cost of such a repaint must be absolutely bananas.
    omg this is beyond crapness :D and that too narrow strap...
    SunnyOrange and mkws like this.
    Chaos is my focus

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne (Oz, not FL)
    Posts
    235

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Name:  74678240.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  125.7 KB

    Another great episode of BaB - thanks!
    mkws likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Border-Reiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,774

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    If you happen to be an honest person and a watch collector with a little experience and if you then have an intolerance against pharmaceutical emetics, take a few stories of Bring a Brain, especially relating to a certain name, read them loud and you will throw up in no time, everything back to the cake of your 6th birthday. They have meanwhile sunken so deep, that they can nicely live under the motto: Once you've lost your reputation (both commercially as well as horological 'experts'), you have nothing left to lose; and speaking about loosing: I can guess the losses are often with a lot of yuppies with too much money and too little brain. If it would go to charity afterwards, I would even support that diversion of money, but here, it goes into the wrong pockets.

    If we will really have a judgement day in a way as often described, I don’t know. But if so, they would be condemned to work forever as houseboys and cleaners in a Bombay-Special shop.
    mkws and georges zaslavsky like this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    169

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    I love the caseback of the Disintegrating Dial :) ...They forgot to add "PROFESSIONALLY ETCHED PERSONALISED CASEBACK"..blah blah blah.
    Are people really so stupid to buy these watches? The hodinkee ones are all sold out!!!
    mkws likes this.
    Time waits for no man.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wegberg, Germany
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Hi there,

    Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    ... the losses are often with a lot of yuppies with too much money and too little brain.
    No secret that there is no rigid relation between brain and wallet size, and if ever a demand arises (or is created), the market cares for supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    If it would go to charity afterwards, I would even support that diversion of money, but here, it goes into the wrong pockets.
    I can't agree. My trust in charity organizations is pretty limited, and folks can do worse with too much money than wasting it for old watches in questionable condition. Finally these sellers make photos that don't lie, and create long funny stories, while others sell funny stories without any watch. So the money is not transferered to the best place, but at least to a better place.

    I don't mind such web sites. They represent a parallel universe, and I belong neither to its visitors nor its inhabitants. But BaB posts are helpful for newbies and people with lack of visual resolution, and therefore we can't get enough of them.

    Regards, Roland Ranfft
    joeabroad, Wibbs, v8chrono and 2 others like this.

  10. #9
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,502

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Addendum to the thread: while I thought that in one week Hodinkee can't score more flops than the ones I've listed, it appears that - actually - they can! I really wrote this BaB a day too early...

    Let's have a look at the most recent Bring a Loupe, and what our dear Isaac calls a Technos (sic!) ref.FHF 969...
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-may-24

    Now, it appears that Mr.Wingold has never heard of FHF, one of the largest Swiss movement manufacturers ever, which happened to have accounted for the vast majority of movements produced in Switzerland in the 19th century, and which in the 20th still remained a really large supplier. Moreover, he can't tell an FHF movement when he sees one, and doesn't quite have a habit of doing research.
    Here's the listing...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tec...orig_cvip=true

    And the picture of the case back:
    Name:  technosback.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  292.4 KB

    Of course stamped 969-4. The title of the listing refers to the movement, not a reference number. Now, if someone happens to know the second thing about the meaning of markings, they know that in the 1960s and 1970s Technos had the habit of stamping the calibre number of the movement used on -where else - the case back. Took me a minute to find a listing at Chrono24 for a Technos Sky Diver using an ETA 2472, and stamped...
    Name:  technos2472back.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  683.1 KB
    Pic filched for reference purposes

    And here, dear Isaac, is your "ref." FHF 969-4...oh, and look, what do you know, it's a Technos-signed one!
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 969-4

    I'd say "shock and awe", but Hodinkee's "expertise" and its verily appalling level is no longer shocking. It's just sad.

    Well, another one bites the dust.

    Also, there's the IWC that he's hyped, and which appears to be a redial - which has been pointed out in the comments.
    Name:  iwcredial.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  276.7 KB
    Unless IWC would have done such a shoddy job with aligning the subdial and the recess, and unless they'd have been more than liberal with aligning the minute track to the applied markers, I strongly doubt that that's the way this dial left the factory.

    Woo-hoo, and that's another flop on H's part. Great Scott... Carry on as you do, Hodinkee boyos, and yours truly won't ever have the BaB readers waiting for another instalment for too long.
    Dan S, SunnyOrange, Wibbs and 1 others like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    83

    Re: Bring a Brain XXXII

    Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Addendum to the thread: while I thought that in one week Hodinkee can't score more flops than the ones I've listed, it appears that - actually - they can! I really wrote this BaB a day too early...

    Let's have a look at the most recent Bring a Loupe, and what our dear Isaac calls a Technos (sic!) ref.FHF 969...
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-may-24

    Now, it appears that Mr.Wingold has never heard of FHF, one of the largest Swiss movement manufacturers ever, which happened to have accounted for the vast majority of movements produced in Switzerland in the 19th century, and which in the 20th still remained a really large supplier. Moreover, he can't tell an FHF movement when he sees one, and doesn't quite have a habit of doing research.
    Here's the listing...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tec...orig_cvip=true

    And the picture of the case back:
    Name:  technosback.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  292.4 KB

    Of course stamped 969-4. The title of the listing refers to the movement, not a reference number. Now, if someone happens to know the second thing about the meaning of markings, they know that in the 1960s and 1970s Technos had the habit of stamping the calibre number of the movement used on -where else - the case back. Took me a minute to find a listing at Chrono24 for a Technos Sky Diver using an ETA 2472, and stamped...
    Name:  technos2472back.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  683.1 KB
    Pic filched for reference purposes

    And here, dear Isaac, is your "ref." FHF 969-4...oh, and look, what do you know, it's a Technos-signed one!
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 969-4

    I'd say "shock and awe", but Hodinkee's "expertise" and its verily appalling level is no longer shocking. It's just sad.

    Well, another one bites the dust.

    Also, there's the IWC that he's hyped, and which appears to be a redial - which has been pointed out in the comments.
    Name:  iwcredial.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  276.7 KB
    Unless IWC would have done such a shoddy job with aligning the subdial and the recess, and unless they'd have been more than liberal with aligning the minute track to the applied markers, I strongly doubt that that's the way this dial left the factory.

    Woo-hoo, and that's another flop on H's part. Great Scott... Carry on as you do, Hodinkee boyos, and yours truly won't ever have the BaB readers waiting for another instalment for too long.
    I wondered about that IWC. The minute track seemed wrong and the whole watch just had a fishy vibe to it. That and paying 3k for something like that seemed like a poor recommendation, when an American watch from the same time period will be just as nice and way less expensive.

    Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Bring a Brain
      By mkws in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 52
      Last Post: June 13th, 2017, 05:38
    2. Bring a Brain V
      By mkws in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: June 9th, 2017, 16:18
    3. Bring a Brain III
      By mkws in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 40
      Last Post: June 9th, 2017, 15:57
    4. Bring a Brain IV
      By mkws in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: June 9th, 2017, 15:15
    5. Bring a Brain II
      By mkws in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: September 15th, 2016, 14:31

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •