British Issue Moeris ATP Watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: British Issue Moeris ATP Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Issue Moeris ATP Watch

Found this watch listed wrong and won the bid. What I have read is black dial is scarce. Was going to have hands re lumened, but keeping original after reading it's best to leave alone for authenticity reasons. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, it's coming from a British seller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Re: British Issued Moeris ATP Watch

Frankly, I'm not really convinced that any ATP watches were originally produced with black dials. I believe these ATP watches were issued prior to the WWW watches, which had black dials. The latter seem to be more desirable, perhaps because they are larger, so perhaps people are painting ATP dials black to imitate the WWW dials.
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; August 17th, 2017 at 23:29.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: British Issued Moeris ATP Watch

I don't think it's a redial, but I am reluctant to believe that it's original to this watch. Could be a replacement from a civilian Moeris with the same movement.
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; August 17th, 2017 at 23:29.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The seller and I have chatted. Said that it came from a camera shop about 10 years ago where people frequently bring in military items. The seller is a vintage camera guy. Said that it is likely from a deceased military person.

Re: British Issue Moeris ATP Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Reed View Post
    The seller and I have chatted. Said that it came from a camera shop about 10 years ago where people frequently bring in military items. The seller is a vintage camera guy. Said that it is likely from a deceased military person.
    Without any pictures or documentation to prove the provenance of the watch, the seller's claims - like the one about the watch coming from a deceased soldier (or his descendants) - have to be taken with a grain of salt. After all, since the watch was decommissioned, it could well have had a dozen owners. There's no telling if the watch was kept by whoever it was issued to, or has it simply been sold at a military surplus sale.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

hi, I can see a lot more positives than negatives with this watch (that is if it has got an shock resist movement inside it).
    Some ATP Moeris watches were shock resistant and a good example is shown in Konrad Knirim's book, also with the PXXXX mark on the back.
    Your watch appears to have the radium dots that you would expect on an ATP watch but it looks as if the original white numbers have been overpainted with luminous paint.
    I have the German twin to this watch which has luminous numbers but no dots.
    all in all a great find.

Regards Harvey

A picture of the inside of a watch would be helpful. The specification of these Moeris watches obviously changed several times during this period. My guess is that the movement is fixed directly to the iron ring with screws, with a large spring ring fitting outside the iron ring. I have a slightly earlier waterproof but not shockproof version with this arrangement. I also have an early shockproof version with the movement mounted like the older watches with a small spring ring inside the iron ring. Later watches were shockproof and had a waterproof back and the movement fixed with screws to a ring inside the iron ring and then a large spring ring on the outside.

I would really have to fight to get this back cover off. Have a tool but it's being very stubborn.

I would really have to fight to get this back cover off. Have a tool but it's being very stubborn.
    If you're using a wrench, I suggest that you secure the tips of it with tape, to prevent scratching the watch. Especially when it doesn't want to open that easily.

Oh, and since the watch has radium lume, better open it in an open or a well-ventilated space. You really don't want to inhale the gas, that developed in the process of decay of the lume.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

A case holder, sometimes used with a vise, is very helpful in these situations.

Name:  71c4untFDQL._UX569_.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  24.8 KB
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information