British military watch...I think...

Thread: British military watch...I think...

British military watch...I think...

I found this in antique mall for a decent price (then again, anything with a working balance under $50 is a decent price to me). Case looks military-ish to me (I'm assuming that's a british broad arrow mark, can't tell if that's a circle or a C around it), but I don't know enough about British procurement to know what it means (if anything). I know that just prior to WWII, the British military went on a purchasing spree in anticipation of the war, and a lot of simple swiss watches were picked up this way (usually marked GSTP though). The design of this one seems to fit the time period, but there's no lume or any obvious military markings on the dial/movement.

Name:  Watch.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  250.1 KBName:  CaseMarks.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  335.7 KB

Dial is plastic; scuffed up a lot. The crown shows signs of very heavy plating (half is flaked off); the case back is quite worn as you can see. The hands are a deep blue with no sign of corrosion, and the dial is pristine. Almost too nice for the case. But there's only one set of screw marks on the case. The movement is a Unitas 245; nicely finished, but nothing exotic.
    Name:  Movement.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  287.4 KBName:  Keyless.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  275.8 KB

Anyone have deeper insight into British military pieces?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: British military watch...I think...

Hi Rob,

I have only had a few Pocket watches.... including some military! Also, with my continued search for military watches, I have come accross many!

I have not seen that logo before.... an Arrow within a C!

I did a quick serach and found this one with similar marks:

Clocks, Watches: admiral pocket watch, pocket watch, swiss watch

Which does not give much info.... but is described as a admmirals pocket watch?

Also, you may have come across this site before, but it does give a good run though of different case markings.

British Horological Institute - Military Watch Information

under GS watches... it says,

Most of these case-backs carry just a Broad Arrow and the inventory number used for an old Watch, (Mark II)..... so maybe?

It also links 'Unitas' with military watches... but I have only ever come across the ATP wrist watches!

Im not sure about the dial... it does not scream military to me - but could be wrong.... and with the lack of lume, it does not help the military case.... That said, you did get RAF pilots watches which are non-lumed with simple blue steel hands.....

Hopefully someone can give a better answer, with more facts!! Will be interested to see what comes up!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Here's an interesting tidbit that I forgot to mention in my original post. The entire train is comprised of some goldish/copperish material; even the roller table. I'm guessing this was for anti-magnetic reasons, but I've never seen a pallet fork this color before:
    Name:  GoldTrain.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  307.6 KB

I also found this entry in my "Concise Guide to Military Timepieces" (Z.M. Wesolowski):
    Name:  DSC_7961.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  448.1 KB

Which makes sense given that I found it in Ontario...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just a thought, but the broad arrow surrounded by a C, suggests Canadian government property. I wonder if British references would show it. I would concentrate on Canadian military markings.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I also found this entry in my "Concise Guide to Military Timepieces" (Z.M. Wesolowski):
    Name:  DSC_7961.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  448.1 KB

Which makes sense given that I found it in Ontario...
    Glad you found it. It seems highly likely. Also listed here:

http://german242.com/books/military_...e_markings.pdf
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information