Broken springbar post in lug
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Broken springbar post in lug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken springbar post in lug

To satisfy my curiosity about Omega watches and redeem my disappointing experience with Yahoo Auctions (Japan), I bought a cheap and sadly green-faced c.1973 Geneve with a steel bracelet that turned out to be way too small for me to wear.

Name:  IMG_6157a.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  310.6 KB

Opening the case, I found a lot of gunk and corrosion, as expected—I think the dial became green after getting a bath. The watch runs beautifully, however.

Name:  IMG_6154a.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  507.4 KBName:  IMG_6163a.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  380.4 KB

I chose the watch over a wide selection of Omegas listed on Yahoo as "junk" because of the "Recognized for 20 Years of Service/Kagawa Prefecture Credit Union" inscription. The watch clearly once meant something to someone.

Name:  IMG_6164a.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  394.3 KB

Unfortunately, at this point I realized that one of the badly corroded pins had broken clean off in the lug hole when I removed the bracelet. I couldn't wear the watch even if I found a strap that fit.

Name:  IMG_546957637a.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  137.5 KB

So, can I do anything, or is the only recourse to take it to a watchmaker to try to drill out the hole? I suspected that the pin would turn to dust if I merely spoke to it harshly*, but it's in there pretty good. In fact, being in the lug hole probably protected that portion of the pin from corrosion, which would make it the sturdiest part of the watch. Does anyone have any ideas?

* I tried this already

Re: Broken springbar post in lug

Unattractive dial, too small for your taste, repair needed ... Can you return it and start over?
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Well, strictly speaking it didn't need a repair until I broke the post, and it's a no-returns situation. Anyway, I bought it thinking it may not work at all, so I'm actually fine with it. It would just be nice to make it wearable.

Edit: The size of the case puts it squarely in the range of all my other watches. It was the bracelet that was too small.
    esdy_11192 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DON

Can you get a pin tip into the side and maybe wiggle it loose?

Otherwise drill it out if possible

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Can you get a pin tip into the side and maybe wiggle it loose?

Otherwise drill it out if possible

DON
    I think that's the next step. I actually did get a small screwdriver in there to chip away at it, but I think I only succeeded in grinding off the protruding bit. I will try to find a smaller screwdriver and see what kind of damage I can do.

If it's not going to turn to dust, and won't winkle out, then I'd go for your second option. I took a similar problem to my watchmaker who drilled it out whilst I waited for a few minutes. No charge.

Regards.

If you run the broken spring bar stubs and case through an ultrasonic bath of dilute muriatic acid before spreading them and otherwise creating an interference fit in the hole they will often just fall out.
    badbackdan and drdas007 like this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

I just had that happen with a 1970's Seiko that also came from Japan

What I did was went out to the local crafts store and bought a set of small sewing needles. I took the smallest one and poked at the small gap between the springbar and the lug hole at various parts lengths. Then I started to pry the bar out with the needle. The poking and prying broke the rust bond and out it came.

You don't want a screw driver or something that is too big or strong as it will widen the hole.

Conversly, you can take a really tiny torx screw driver and a tiny tiny tiny bit of super glue and glue the screw driver to the bar and pull it out. The torx is best because it is flat at the bottom
    busmatt, v8chrono and Krogerfoot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    If you run the broken spring bar stubs and case through an ultrasonic bath of dilute muriatic acid before spreading them and otherwise creating an interference fit in the hole they will often just fall out.
    Thanks—I think I'll go at it with a screwdriver and some crazy glue first before I look into trying this.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    I just had that happen with a 1970's Seiko that also came from Japan

What I did was went out to the local crafts store and bought a set of small sewing needles. I took the smallest one and poked at the small gap between the springbar and the lug hole at various parts lengths. Then I started to pry the bar out with the needle. The poking and prying broke the rust bond and out it came.

You don't want a screw driver or something that is too big or strong as it will widen the hole.

Conversly, you can take a really tiny torx screw driver and a tiny tiny tiny bit of super glue and glue the screw driver to the bar and pull it out. The torx is best because it is flat at the bottom
    Sounds like a plan. Will try to avoid gluing any part of my body to any other part of my body. (Note to self: Wear pants during this operation.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information