Bucherer Day Date Automatic help needed

Thread: Bucherer Day Date Automatic help needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have been given this 1950's vintage (I think) Bucherer Day Date Automatic. I could only find one picture of a similar watch with the day and date arranged the way this one is in my internet searchesName:  IMG_4595.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  92.5 KBName:  IMG_4594.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  92.5 KB. It is missing the crown. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the model number and the value for this particular watch. I have a local watch guy that is pretty good with repairs so I was wondering if it is worth fixing. Thanks for your help!
    Jeff

Re: Bucherer Day Date Automatic help needed

Who would give you a broken watch?

Bucherer used quality movements in their watches (fully jeweled), but as a collectible the brand itself is not sought after. Therefore, I would put the value about the same as any ordinary (but well-made) watch with similar features and construction. Think vintage Wittnauer, Zodiac, etc.
    The model number will neither clarify the value, nor indicate which crown to buy. Your watchmaker should be able to find a replacement crown based on the movement (guessing A. Schild) or by measuring the stem and tube.
    If the composition of the case is gold-filled or some base metal (in other words not solid gold) then I might pass the watch on to someone who may have an interest in repairing it themselves. The repair/service would likely exceed the value of a gold-filled or base metal watch.
    A solid gold watch would have greater value based just on the value of the gold content, but I think we are not allowed to offer valuations on this forum.
    Edit: the case back looks like white metal, like steel? Hard to tell from the photos. If the watch has a steel back, personally I would pay it forward to someone who would benefit from the experience in repairing it, or benefit from the sale of it as-is (charity).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  6F17E8FD-A4FF-43F5-BBF4-C173F07A3664.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  1.73 MB

Not the same, but I have this Bucherer with day-date complication, it uses an ETA movement, and runs well for its age. As others have said, money-wise, it is not worth the cost of a full service... for me, this was my grandfather’s daily wear for 35 years, so cost/price is not part of the equation.
    GMT Master II 16710 Pepsi
    Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Submariner 114060
    Datejust 116234 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Bucherer used quality movements in their watches (fully jeweled), but as a collectible the brand itself is not sought after. Therefore, I would put the value about the same as any ordinary (but well-made) watch with similar features and construction. Think vintage Wittnauer, Zodiac, etc.
    The model number will neither clarify the value, nor indicate which crown to buy. Your watchmaker should be able to find a replacement crown based on the movement (guessing A. Schild) or by measuring the stem and tube.
    If the composition of the case is gold-filled or some base metal (in other words not solid gold) then I might pass the watch on to someone who may have an interest in repairing it themselves. The repair/service would likely exceed the value of a gold-filled or base metal watch.
    A solid gold watch would have greater value based just on the value of the gold content, but I think we are not allowed to offer valuations on this forum.
    Edit: the case back looks like white metal, like steel? Hard to tell from the photos. If the watch has a steel back, personally I would pay it forward to someone who would benefit from the experience in repairing it, or benefit from the sale of it as-is (charity).
    The case back is stainless steel and the case looks to be steel with a gold plating so no precious metals.

I would say it is not worth the cost of the repair, but get a quote from your watchmaker and decide if it is something you want to do. Looking at auction values for similar watches, the values range from $40-$140 for running examples.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

If it is gold plated, case back would say so, outside or on the inside of the lid.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    I would say it is not worth the cost of the repair, but get a quote from your watchmaker and decide if it is something you want to do. Looking at auction values for similar watches, the values range from $40-$140 for running examples.
    I am not sure where you are seeing similar examples for sale, I could only find one picture of this watch in an extensive online search. Hopefully someone with experience with these Butcherers can provide some insight.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch has the sort of case back that can be opened carefully using an adjustable wrench. If you feel confident, try it yourself. Furthermore, it is a question of whether you are simply missing the crown or whether the winding stem is broken. If you need the stem, you will definitely have to identify the movement. Post some pictures here and we will give you the details - it's one thing that we as a community are very good at!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V View Post
    I am not sure where you are seeing similar examples for sale, I could only find one picture of this watch in an extensive online search. Hopefully someone with experience with these Butcherers can provide some insight.
    By “similar,” I meant gold filled. I looked at “Sold” Bucherer gold filled watches on eBay. The execution of the design of your Bucherer may indeed be relatively scarce (compared to other Bucherer models), but it does nothing (or little, at best) for the value. Scarcity here does not translate into demand, and this example is not one that is in demand by the vintage collector’s circle. As far as I know, only Bucherer watches in precious metals or with complications (say, chronographs) experience any demand.

As noted before, you may choose to have the watch serviced. It is an attractive, well-made watch after all. The decision is yours, but the market is not seeking these out. This tends to make repairs to your example exceed the value of a finished (functional) gold filled Bucherer with a stainless steel back.

It’s hard to tell from the photos, but if there is any gold plate missing from the case or lugs, this makes it even less desirable to a collector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information