Bueche Girod, opinions please

Thread: Bueche Girod, opinions please

Bueche Girod, opinions please

Hi everyone, I bought this watch in 1971 from Earnest Jones in Oxford Street for the princely sum of £64..In about 1987 it got trashed crystal & dial..1988 I sent it off to get restored.. Still got the receipt £156 for dial, hands & movement.. had it ever since then the crystal broke again.. sent it off to get it replaced 9 mths later the guy said he couldn't fix it as it's a bubble glass..Then I sent it to a guy in Glasgow, 3 weeks later got it back fixed, well pleased.. since then I've replaced the strap with a Hirsch croc: changed the hands for blue steel & had a GP cabochon crown installed. I think it looks pretty good apart from the redial which doesn't include the name..Not really into watches at that time I really didn't notice.. Question is "Is it worth redialing sgain or should I leave it as is" These are quite rare & Bueche Girod collaborated with Cartier on this design plus I've seen one with J.Ete on dial.. French jewellers I think.. Your opinions are appreciated, good & bad..Thanks.. Just an aside ,it was a mans watch when I bought it but has morphed into a ladies watch in 40 years .. Measures 17mm by 43mmName:  2012-09-15 02.14.18.jpg
Views: 4725
Size:  59.5 KBName:  2012-09-016.jpg
Views: 4619
Size:  159.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ohenry2; September 16th, 2012 at 16:56.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Bueche Girod, opinions please

That is certainly an odd looking watch by an odd sounding maker - never heard of them before. In any case, I would leave the dial as it is. The reason for this is that it would still be a redial and the value of the watch would never be as high as if it were all original. It would only cost money and you know the maker anyway. Nothing really gained, something lost so I'd forget it!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That is certainly an odd looking watch by an odd sounding maker - never heard of them before. In any case, I would leave the dial as it is. The reason for this is that it would still be a redial and the value of the watch would never be as high as if it were all original. It would only cost money and you know the maker anyway. Nothing really gained, something lost so I'd forget it!

Hartmut Richter
    Well it's certainly not run of the mill! Beuche Girod were known for making quite fancy watches in the 70's lots of gold & diamonds.. Heres the same one made for Cartier..Name:  -60253505294966140.jpg
Views: 5035
Size:  13.0 KB
    Bueche Girod By Cartier --- "banana Style" Vintage 1960's Gold Watch | Cartier Watch This is probably one of the more sedate looking models They went out of business in the 80's when quartz became popular
    Last edited by ohenry2; September 17th, 2012 at 01:42.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd agree with Hartmut - leave the dial unless it really bugs you. The brand is associated with high class jewellery type watches - all the examples I've seen (on the internet) have been solid gold and many are embellished with gems. I thought the company lasted a little longer than the 1980's - but it was never a high volume brand and not one I know much about. I remember seeing a nice, elegant, man's watch in a jeweller's window about a decade ago. It was heavily reduced in price but still outside my meagre budget.

Anyway, its a fine watch you have.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks Marrick, I'll take your advice & leave it alone. I must admit I was a little put out by Hartmuts comment about it being odd.. Don't think it's odd myself.. It's similar to a Cartier Tank Americaine but narrower

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, I didn't mean it in an offensive way. Odd more in the sense of unusual - which can be positive. It is certainy very retro style. Long and thin, large roman numerals, curved bottom, no seconds hand.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Well, I didn't mean it in an offensive way. Odd more in the sense of unusual - which can be positive. It is certainy very retro style. Long and thin, large roman numerals, curved bottom, no seconds hand.....

Hartmut Richter
    OK Hartmut thanks, I was ready to put it on ebay 99p no reserve..

Thread Information