Building a watch from NOS
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Building a watch from NOS

Building a watch from NOS

I have been wrestling with a moral issue and perhaps legal for near on twelve months as to whether I should proceed .
    Back in 2014/5 I was looking for couple of parts for a Lemania based chronograph (Omega 1040) at realistic prices. After months of searching a contact suggesed I try an elderly chap who may be able to help with what I needed at fair prices. He did . eg. New Chronograph runner for $20.
    I also asked for a clutch wheel ($15 )and it arrived together with the whole assembly ( yoke, setting lever etc) on a brand new main plate. A click for $15 arrived attached to a new barrel and train wheel bridge. I later understood that that's how they arrived from the manufacturer. To cut a long story short he told me that back in the 80,s a well known sportsman whose name appeared on the dial and back case jumped from Omega to Rolex and assemblers of the Chronograph were left with limited quantities of the new parts including dials ,hands and partially assembled movements . This gentleman has had these items stored away all these years . I am very tempted to to see if he would like to sell me what he has and for me to build up and sell . I know he has the dials in both silver and gold together with all hands . For all I know he may also have the cases. Aside from the moral issue of taking advantage of this lovely mans generosity would it be wrong of me to sell as NOS .

Re: Building a watch from NOS

Interesting situation. If you are buying the parts at his asking price, I don't necessarily see that you are taking advantage of him. He seems to be knowledgeable, and he may be happy to unload some things.

Regarding reselling a watch that you assembled, I think it would be dishonest to call it a NOS Omega watch, since that would imply that the watch was made by Omega and sat unmolested since that time. I think it would be more honest to say that it was assembled from authentic NOS parts. Just my opinion.
    bsshog40 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Well, I guess it would be NOS parts but not built by the manufacturer. There was a guy who did that with Omega parts, but I don't think he sold them as NOS. Been awhile, not sure.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=badbackdan;42481242]Interesting situation. If you are buying the parts at his asking price, I don't necessarily see that you are taking advantage of him. He seems to be knowledgeable, and he may be happy to unload some things.

Regarding reselling a watch that you assembled, I think it would be dishonest to call it a NOS Omega watch, since that would imply that the watch was made by Omega and sat unmolested since that time. I think it would be more honest to say that it was assembled from authentic NOS parts. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE

Good suggestion . I would be comfortable advertising a watch as you said .
    I will drop the seller a line and see what he thinks ,he may not be interested in going to the trouble .

Not just a "moral dilemma" but possibly a legal one as well.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Sound a little like Jonny Cash ("I got it one piece at a time...")!

Hartmut Richter
    Molliedooker and jzoo like this.

Thread Information