Bulova Accutron Not Working - Advice?

Thread: Bulova Accutron Not Working - Advice?

Bulova Accutron Not Working - Advice?

I inherited a Bulova Accutron from my grandfather. We found it in a chest drawer after he passed away. It was not working at the time and the crystal was cracked.

I've replaced the crystal and had the watch cleaned twice (by Swiss Watch Repair in Chicago.) Both times, the watch worked a short while after the cleanings and then stopped. There is a new battery in the watch. I've been very careful with the watch given it is probable age.

Because there is sentimental value, I would like to have the watch fixed and running. At the same time, I don't want to be in a position where I am constantly going back to the watch repair shop.

The watch is a Bulova Accutron.The markings on the back of the case appear to say DAA287 H7. (The second A could be a 4 and the H7 could be HT or N7/NT; hard to tell for sure.) The case is also stamped with "14K Gold Filled Case" and "waterproof". I have no other information about it. (I will upload pictures, if it helps.)

The watch repair shop listed as a 218 model, but I do not know if that is correct or not.

Any suggestions on whether the watch can be fixed so it runs for more than just a couple of weeks?

Thanks.

Re: Bulova Accutron Not Working - Advice?

Try one of the few watchmakers who advertise they will do Accutrons. We can speculate but they will know.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The "H7" almost sounds like a date code, but "waterproof" means it's from before the 70's, and 67 would be M7.

Why did the shop say it stopped working the first time you brought it back?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What is a short while after cleaning? My 218 only runs a few months on a new battery. I think thats normal for new style batteries.

After taking a picture and enlarging the photo, it looks like the back says N7, which would date it in 1977 from what I've found via Google. The case also says waterproof, however.

Here is are pics. If it looks like I'm reading the back of the case wrong let me know.

Last edited by chasro; May 31st, 2010 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by epilamer View Post
    What is a short while after cleaning? My 218 only runs a few months on a new battery. I think thats normal for new style batteries.
    It ran for about a month after the first cleaning and just a couple of weeks after the second. Not a long time and I certainly do not want to be in the habit of having to change batteries frequently.

Hi chasro,

a short battery life can also be caused by a misadjusted index mechanism.
    So if the watch continues humming after having stopped running, you should
    give it to a watchmaker specialized to Accutrons.

The adjustment is no real challenge, but many watchmakers don't want to
    learn this easy job for one Accutron a year.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information