Bulova Accutron Railroad
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3502dav

Thread: Bulova Accutron Railroad

Bulova Accutron Railroad

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired this watch that is not working right now. Just wanted to ask if it would be worth the effort to get it repaired? I know it’s hard to say without knowing what is going on inside. Are these watches hard to come by etc? And does this appear to be in normal/average condition cosmetically for such a watch.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    miquel99 likes this.

Re: Bulova Accutron Railroad

Looks like a decent RR Watch. Should have a 214 or maybe 218 movement in it. These are collectable. Would be nice to see the movement. Does it hum or do anything? I'm presuming you know the battery goes in upside down compared to other batteries?
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Looks like a decent RR Watch. Should have a 214 or maybe 218 movement in it. These are collectable. Would be nice to see the movement. Does it hum or do anything? I'm presuming you know the battery goes in upside down compared to other batteries?
    Thanks. When I return from travel I will open the watch up and check the correct position of the battery and snap a photo of the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice looking Railroad Accutron. It is probably a 2181 movement (because it has a crown at the 4 o'clock position and the date numeral). It's also possible that the 218 has been replaced by a quartz movement if the tuning fork 2181 couldn't be repaired in its past. You might simply have a dead battery. Accutron tip: if not running after putting battery in, give it a little tap, to jump start the tuning fork vibrations. It should have a smooth sweeping second hand (smoother than nearly any mechanical watch out there.) If you want more info, post something on the Accutron, Bulova Forum, that's were the true experts dwell, I'm just an admirer.
    • Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium
    • Timex Weekender
    • Timex Expedition
    • Casio Royale
    • Invicta ProDiver

This was my grandfathers watch. He used to be a train conductor for CN and wore it everyday. He has a few other watches in his collection but this the coolest in my opinion. From what I've read, its a quartz watch, water resistant, with a gold bezel and stainless steel back. I'm planning on getting it serviced with a new battery and a new strap to go with it. Still wondering about the double hour hand though. I thought it might be a sort of GMT watch or he may have needed it on the railroad. I havent been able to find much more information than that

I just bought a putatively broken one for parts (didn't care about the railroad aspect at all) but upon receiving it it looked great and was sort of working - humming merrily along but running about 8 hours(!) per day fast. Cool looking so I didn't have the heart to scrap it.

I was just about to send my Spaceview to Rob Berkavicius for an overhaul so I'm sending him the Railroad to fix as well.
    Name:  20190809_213310.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.04 MB

Actually, looking at that dial pic close up for the first time, the printing looks weird, particularly the inner circle of red numerals. Were these ever faked? Or just sloppiness in the printing?

The movement hacks like it should.

DON

Quote Originally Posted by mozo View Post
    Actually, looking at that dial pic close up for the first time, the printing looks weird, particularly the inner circle of red numerals. Were these ever faked? Or just sloppiness in the printing?

The movement hacks like it should.
    Yours looks like an old redial. On a Google search. Accutron is printed much lower and 24hr numbers don't overlap. Also. Your 24hr numbers don't seem to be 100% centered on the dial

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Yours looks like an old redial. On a Google search. Accutron is printed much lower and 24hr numbers don't overlap. Also. Your 24hr numbers don't seem to be 100% centered on the dial

DON
    Following up on this, Rob serviced it and said the dial is original, one of the various railroad variants floating about. Looking forward to getting it and my Yellow Dot back in a few weeks!

Thread Information