Bulova Resurrection

Thread: Bulova Resurrection

Bulova Resurrection

This is from my acquired collection from a retired watch maker buyout. This would mark about my 1000th Watch repair from that lot since my acquisition in Nov. 09
    This is a 1954 (L4) Bulova 5th Avenue New York marked case that has a 10 BP six adjustment heat/cold 23 jewel (L8) movement in it, I only assume it is original based on the equal amount of rust on the mvt and dial that was originally present and the lack of service marks inside the case.
    As you can see I also have another one very similar triple marked
    1958, with neither one being perfect I decided to do a resurrection, not being overly concerned with originality.
    Just a quick observation both of these worked right from the start with one turn and kept very good time with one being very rusted in the winding train. I was quite amazed at the quality of these movements and the absolute ease of construction and interchangability while working on them.
    I chose the case in the best condition with no brassing (L4). I quickly
    disassembled both movements sans the jewels and cleaned everything, what was rusty went aside and only the nicest parts went back into the now complete lubed movement. It started running with less than one turn of the crown, something that I personally have only seen in a few watches and again is keeping time that rivals any of my watches including my high end quartz.
    I decided to do a redial on the one that had been rusted since the
    (23jewel and waterproof lettering was mostly gone), also it is marked 54 with the other being 58. I decided black would do it just right, well sort of, it actually is called mica black and has just a hint of red metal flake and it just looks great showing just a little red in the right light. I went to clean the hands and the plating came right off, well I discovered they are actually steel hands so I just polished and clear coated them and decided I liked the contrast to the black and gold, the other hands were thin pencil type and just didn't look right to me. I left the case as is for fear of causing brassing and it is a solid 90% condition.
    The band is a vintage kalbe and sets it off just right. It's hard to tell but the crystal is a very low profile and makes the watch a slim 7mm tall.

(The spare will soon become one again after I source parts, the dial is fair so it will just stay as original as it can.

These old bulova's are simply works of art and I am just fortunate and honored to have been able to get one back on the road again, I hope I have done some justice with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Re: Bulova Resurrection

Beautiful work. Love that textured dial.
    "My grail showed up today"

Awesome job done on it. And wow 1000 resxtorations in less than 6 months? You must do this for a living. I wish i could but alas i have to work.

Well done and keep up the good work.

P.s i use a pen plater for touching up cases if the brass shows through after polishing. Its worth its weight in gold (pun intended)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am impressed. Nice work. Good use you your time too - bringing life back to the deserving watches from Bulova!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by chadness View Post
    Awesome job done on it. And wow 1000 resxtorations in less than 6 months? You must do this for a living. I wish i could but alas i have to work.

Well done and keep up the good work.

P.s i use a pen plater for touching up cases if the brass shows through after polishing. Its worth its weight in gold (pun intended)
    Thanks I had an invention pay off so I am using that to fuel the watch venture. It has been a short learning curve and I have seen 4 am many many times not even realizing it. I have wanted to get a pen plater it may be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I am impressed. Nice work. Good use you your time too - bringing life back to the deserving watches from Bulova!
    Thanks I have been most impressed with Bulova USA movements
    of all I have encountered.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Thread Information