Bulova Watch - Winding Question

Thread: Bulova Watch - Winding Question

Bulova Watch - Winding Question

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a 20's bulova watch off eBay. The seller listed it as running strong. I got it today and wound it forward until it resisted any additional winding. I pulled out the pin, set the time and pushed it back in. It isn't ticking or running. I believe the movement has just been cleaned as well.

I was curious if anyone knew if I am winding/setting it wrong or missing a step? Any ideas would be helpful, I am new to the world of vintage watches.

Just trying to figure out if it is user error, or shipping messed something up. I've included a picture if that helps understand the model.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Bulova Watch - Winding Question

Doesn't sound promising. Give it a couple of light taps and see if it starts ticking. If it doesn't you have some issues we won't be able to diagnose over the Internet.
    Most eBay watches need service in spite of what the seller says.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Is it possible to over wind a watch? I wound it forward until it wouldn't let me wind it further...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you grabbed the crown and continued to rotate it until it again wound freely, then it would be overwound (ie broken). You would likely need pliers to accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by zebe View Post
    Is it possible to over wind a watch? I wound it forward until it wouldn't let me wind it further...
    No it is not. Whenever I see the term I cringe... It is used to describe broken watches, none of which broke due to winding.

If they use it, it is a good tell that a vendor doesn't know diddly squat.

The watch needs a watchmaker. I would return it. The watchmaker trip will double (or more) the price of the watch.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Give the watch a few good taps or shakes to see if that frees anything up. No clock or watch can be "overwound" - it simply doesn't happen. What's happened is that the watch has been wound fully, but has jammed. Real "overwinding" is when you break the winding-mechanism altogether. The former of these two is probably caused by a lack of lubricating oils --- which would require a trip to the watchmaker.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Try the following:

1. open the back case.
    2. remove the metal ring holding the plastic movement cover in place. (this model should have one and can be removed with your finger nail or a small flat head screw driver)
    3. once the cover is removed give the balance wheel a slight tape on the outter ring to see if it swings freely.
    4. if it does then its likely that the works (gears) have got some muck in them and will nedd a clean. If the balance wheel seems to be stuck solid, chances are it has over-banked and will need a proper repair. If the balance wheel seems to have excess movement up and down as well as swinging, it may have a broken balance shaft.

All are fixable.

Stephen
    www.mybulova.com

Thread Information