A bunch of junk I've bought to mess with ... cases, movements

Thread: A bunch of junk I've bought to mess with ... cases, movements

A bunch of junk I've bought to mess with ... cases, movements

I'm sure that for most of you, the pocket watch represents much more than it does to me. I'm less interested in the timekeeping aspects of them, and more in tune with the amount of labor and pure artistry went into the design and manufacture.

I will probably end up with too much money invested in a collection of "ornaments", but I'm having fun. I picked up the lot of nickel silver cases and bezels shown here, for 27 dollars shipped, and I didn't take a picture of the lot, but I picked up a nice deal on some movements ... one's actually a complete silveroid 16S waltham, minus the dial. I should take pictures of the lot, but for 35 dollars, I picked up:

The 1908 16S waltham, grade 610 needing only a dial ... silveroid case, running

a 12s NY Standard 7235306 ... running, but needs a dial. dial is hairlined and has a chip. Hands are present and in good condition though. It isn't marked as to how many jewels, but it's a 3/4 plate movement, and there are 4 visible ... so it's got "some" anyway. Nicely damaskeened nickel plates. No stem and crown

12s Illinois 15 jewels, no 2310970 ... running ... but chip and hairlines in dial and needs hour and minute hands. Again no stem and crown

6s Elgin No 16190607 15 jewels ... running ... needs all 3 hands. There's a couple tiny flakes missing at the dial's edge, but those will probably be hidden in a case. Guess what ... no stem and crown

a 10s swiss "2 finger bridge" cylinder movement with a fancy enamel dial ... 1 chip. Needs hands ... bad balance staff though. Too bad too, because it has a stem and crown.

There is a Rogers wristwatch movement that's DOA ... but it was baggage in the lot. There was also a 12s or maybe 14s porcelain dial with green dots over the numerals. Festive ... but no idea what it goes to.

Any good sources of yardsale parts for my yardsale movements? Over time, I'll be able to pick up what's needed, but it'll take some diligence.

justdigtickers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A bunch of junk I've bought to mess with ... cases, movements

you've certainly got your work lined up for you. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I also use german silver in my trade as inlay material, so if some of those case parts don't screw together, the material won't go to waste.

I'm going to buid a banjo called "pickin' time" and use tiny watch faces within the engraved inlays, which will be representations of classic american clocks. That's going to be a fun project. I'll set the dials in clear epoxy to make everything smooth.

I'll be around the forum if they don't kick me out for being a cheapskate. I may post a picture of the herd as it is right now.....just for fun. If I can keep the cost of parts low ... the whole shebang for about 70 dollars, which includes a running watch and 3 running movements ... leaves me in a spot to have some inexpensive watches that look nice, and which I'll actually carry. They won't be collector grade pieces for the most part, but even if all I accomplish is sticking a loose and very vulnerable movement into a case where it can be protected, then I think even that has merit.

Thanks for your interest.

justdigtickers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by justdigtickers View Post
    I'll be around the forum if they don't kick me out for being a cheapskate.
    We love cheapskates!!!

I took this picture early this morning of my 35 dollar "lot" of watches. If I can find a few hands and some stems and crowns ... and some crystals, I'll be able to make up a few watches.

justdigtickers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information