Buren Rotowind

Thread: Buren Rotowind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buren Rotowind

Hello, all:

I just won the following watch - a 25 jewel Buren 'Rotowind' - thought it was very '50s looking. Hopefully, at $74, I wasn't being Name:  burenrotowind.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  6.6 KBover-exuberant.

Can anyone date this watch? Any comments on its movement?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Re: Buren Rotowind

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Hello, all:

I just won the following watch - a 25 jewel Buren 'Rotowind' - thought it was very '50s looking. Hopefully, at $74, I wasn't being Name:  burenrotowind.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  6.6 KBover-exuberant.

Can anyone date this watch? Any comments on its movement?

Thanks for your input.

Jim
    Any feedback? I don't know too much about Buren, other than it was once owned by Hamilton. Would this piece likely have been produced for the North American market?

Thanks again,

Jim

I don't know Buren's well enough to be able to provide additional info on it based on the model name Rotowind

It might be a model that used the micro-rotor type movement, or it might not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Should be an early 50s watch, with a full rotor automatic Buren movement. Buren made these movements as they transitioned from bumper automatics to the microtor movements they pioneered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    Should be an early 50s watch, with a full rotor automatic Buren movement. Buren made these movements as they transitioned from bumper automatics to the microtor movements they pioneered.
    Thanks for the information. I've just paid for the watch, and I'm anxious to have a look at the movement.

Are Buren watches particularly collectible? I mostly just like the fact that, like many 1950s goods, this was a "modern" product: ROTOWIND. I can almost imagine the boys from "Mad Men" coming up with that little trademark!

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Thanks for the information. I've just paid for the watch, and I'm anxious to have a look at the movement.

Are Buren watches particularly collectible? I mostly just like the fact that, like many 1950s goods, this was a "modern" product: ROTOWIND. I can almost imagine the boys from "Mad Men" coming up with that little trademark!
    Buren's most notable contribution to horology was their invention of the micro-rotor movement. Micro-rotor movements where created in an attempt to create the slimmest automatic movement possible and Buren identified micro-rotor movement watches as "Super Slender".
    Last edited by Ray916MN; January 13th, 2010 at 02:09.

Post a picture of the movement and there is a good chance I can identify it. I have Hans Kocher's book , Urnemacherei in Buren. It has pictures of most movements.

Buren is a top quality watch , up there with Lecoultre. It had a reputation as one of the most innovative watch manufacturers and designers of its time. Their invention of the mini rotor has been mentioned. They also invented the world first automatic chronograph, and Kocher was responsible for the design of several of Lemania's most famous chronographs. Several of the movements Kocher designed remain in production to this day by both Piaget , Lemania and Brguet.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    Buren is a top quality watch , up there with Lecoultre.
    I like Buren, but I don't think there are many who rank it alongside Lecoultre.

and post 1960s they certainly don't. I have one with an INT 471 which, while a fine movement, isn't a luxury model.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post
    I like Buren, but I don't think there are many who rank it alongside Lecoultre.

and post 1960s they certainly don't. I have one with an INT 471 which, while a fine movement, isn't a luxury model.
    Should have been more specific. I'm talking about the Hans Kocher era of Buren, which was from about 1947 through the end of the company in the early 70s. Prior to that it was a good quality brand, but no LeCoultre.

Suffice it to say that Buren's movements were consider to such superior technical quality that they were built under license by such companies as IWC, Piaget, Lemania and others. Maybe comparing them to Universal or even Angelus would have been a bit closer to the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    Should have been more specific. I'm talking about the Hans Kocher era of Buren, which was from about 1947 through the end of the company in the early 70s. Prior to that it was a good quality brand, but no LeCoultre.

Suffice it to say that Buren's movements were consider to such superior technical quality that they were built under license by such companies as IWC, Piaget, Lemania and others. Maybe comparing them to Universal or even Angelus would have been a bit closer to the mark.
    I'd agree with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information