Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, Railroad Pocket Watch C. 1914

Thread: Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, Railroad Pocket Watch C. 1914

Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, Railroad Pocket Watch C. 1914

Just picked this up on eBay, $200 and wanted input on it please.

"Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, 16-Size Railroad Pocket Watch
    U.S.; Burlington; Man's; Serial # 2,566,753; C. 1914
    CASE: The yellow-gold-filled 16-size plain case features an open face.
    DIAL: This white porcelain double sunk dial displays Arabic numerals, red Arabic 5-minute markers and spade hands.
    MOVT: This 19-jewel, lever-set movement with lever escapement is nickel with a bridge style layout."Name:  E.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  23.4 KBName:  D.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  13.3 KBName:  C.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  9.4 KBName:  B.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  21.6 KBName:  A.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  13.0 KB
    Have Discovered Vintage Pocket Watches!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, Railroad Pocket Watch C. 1914

It's a 16 size Model 9 Illinois Watch Company watch.

Burlington was a mail order outfit out of Chicago that sold almost exclusively private label Illinois watches.

Normally, you would expect to see these "Burlington Watch Company" cases. I'm also a little bit uncomfortable with that dial on that particular watch, although I'm going to shy away from saying it's wrong at least at the moment.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Burlington Special 19-Jewel, Yellow-Gold-Filled, Railroad Pocket Watch C. 1914

I purchased it because I wanted a really old watch that ran well that I could carry. I thought it was just beautiful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And it is, to be sure. Its not unusual for old pocket watches to have been recased; gold filled cases wear out after a while, after all. The dial seems a bit...fancy...for a railroad watch though. The expectation on a railroad watch was that time had to be easy to read; that one seems a little distracting. That said, a lot of people who bought "railroad grade" watches back then did so not because they had anything to do with the railroad, but because of the premise that they were the best watches commonly available. Kinda like advertising something as "military grade" today to denote its ruggedness (to the amusement of anyone who's ever had to maintain military hardware...)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The dial seems a bit...fancy...for a railroad watch though.
    My concern with the dial was related specifically to the "Burlington Special" signature, as I'm more use to seeing that signature on the early 16 size model 4 and 5 Burlington watches. Most of the Model 9 watches I see have dials signed "Burlington" rather than "Burlington Special." I wouldn't count out a dial on the basis of numerals alone, as there were plenty of honest-to-goodness RR watches with much fancier numerals(take a look at some of the work that Moorhouse did for Ball).

With that said, I talked to a friend who knows these better than I, and was told that the "Burlington Special" dial is most likely correct for this particular watch.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    My concern with the dial was related specifically to the "Burlington Special" signature, as I'm more use to seeing that signature on the early 16 size model 4 and 5 Burlington watches. Most of the Model 9 watches I see have dials signed "Burlington" rather than "Burlington Special." I wouldn't count out a dial on the basis of numerals alone, as there were plenty of honest-to-goodness RR watches with much fancier numerals(take a look at some of the work that Moorhouse did for Ball).

With that said, I talked to a friend who knows these better than I, and was told that the "Burlington Special" dial is most likely correct for this particular watch.
    That is good to know, THANK YOU for checking. I felt rather comfortable with this particular eBay seller, he is the owner of an upscale Jewelry store in Florida, has written a book about the subject, but you never know.

Thread Information