C.H. Meylan Movement

Thread: C.H. Meylan Movement

C.H. Meylan Movement

I was at an event tonight to preview watches prior to an auction over the weekend, and a private lable pocket watch with a C.H. Meylan movement caught my eye. They said the watch was probably from the 1920s. Does anyone know about C.H. Meylan and the quality of its movements from this time period? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Re: C.H. Meylan Movement

the 1920s for Charles Henri Meylan is a tricky period which is not very well known.Revealed public information says he died in 1916, but there is a registered Swiss patent on his name in 1920, and the brand still advertises in 1930 with some jump hour complication wrist watches, we don't know if his son Max Meylan is continuing his business but somehow Marius Meylan who takes over Lemania has influence on them. The CH Meylan brand disappears until Baume & Mercier buys its facilities in Brassus and registers as its own trademark in 1957.

His movements which are available in the market are from the last decades of 19th century and earlier 20th say to 1910s.His first patent is from 1874, US patent, he is based in Brassus and New York both, in different times and has activities in both continents, Europe and U.S.Won a prize in 1894 in Geneve for Observatory Timing Competition with the World Time Watch.

pictures from Hans Weil

Not sure which movement you are referring to, but at his heights of his popularity he has fine calibers positioned as high end. This is mainly in late 19th century. That 1920's period is kind of transition period to the A.R & J.E Meylan brand who is not proofed but believed to have a bloodline with CH Meylan.And these AR & JE Meylan uses mainly Marius Meylan's Lemania movements, no more manufacture movements, and than transforms to Meylan Stopwatch company which still exists. If you have a picture of the movement that would be useful. I am not sure if that period movement would be signed CH Meylan Brassus, it might be W.Meylan, A.R & J.E Meylan, Meylan signed .

Here are some of his popular movements:

picture from Hans Weil.
    Last edited by Emre; December 1st, 2012 at 02:04.

Thank you for your response; it was very helpful. There were a lot of watches last night, so I may be mistaken about the date. They say it is movement number 6093, if that helps you with the date.

Can anyone point me in the directed of where I can find more information on C.H. Meylan Brassus? I found various auctions, but I wasn't able to find any more useful information through a google search online.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't have those reference numbers, but I remember that at the height of his productivity the maximum amount of movements he produces after leaving Capt in London to the U.S was 300- 400 pieces per annum. Tiffany is one of the most common brands using his movements, Walthams using Meylan are more rare. Also incorporating with Badollet from Genf.
    Henry Blank & Co was the agent for him in the U.S. and uses this below 'cressarrow' mark on the case, also if CH Meylan, the lion mark in my signature should exist on the movement plate.

If my memory doesn't call wrong a serial in 10,000s was proofed from 1903-05 in another forum - maybe there is a list of it, which I would love to have also, but very roughly from his first patent year in the States 1874 avg 300 production would bring your serial 6093 to 1890- 1900 era - just thinking loud.
    Last edited by Emre; December 1st, 2012 at 01:50.

Thread Information