Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

Thread: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member usc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,716

    Question Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    I have been reading a ton on vintage vacheron watches. There seems to be some debate on whether the second "E" in the dial inscribed word Genve should all have an accent? Without it are all considered redials?

    What say you experts?

    Thank you.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

  2. #2
    Member DaBaeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    States: east -nyc/phila
    Posts
    6,644

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    I am not positive but I have seen quite a few vintage VCs that seem to have original dials w/o the accent over the 'e'. None of the stamped "geneve" movements have the accent over the 2nd e either. I have read a little about when the '&' was done away with but havn't seen too much about the geneve accent. I have an old VC ('38) which i believe had/has an original dial but unfortunately the logo was rubbed off by seller. Some members comented that my V&C with SUISSE GENÉVA underneath indicated it was an old redial but I am not so sure. (I have to have this redialed-even if the seller hadn't rubbed off the logo as it was extremely faded in all respects)

    But I am interested in this thread as I am doing as much research as I can before having it sent out to redialer.

    good luck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

  3. #3
    Member HOROLOGIST007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Costa Blanca Spain
    Posts
    13,373

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    I am not positive but I have seen quite a few vintage VCs that seem to have original dials w/o the accent over the 'e'. None of the stamped "geneve" movements have the accent over the 2nd e either. I have read a little about when the '&' was done away with but havn't seen too much about the geneve accent. I have an old VC ('38) which i believe had/has an original dial but unfortunately the logo was rubbed off by seller. Some members comented that my V&C with SUISSE GENÉVA underneath indicated it was an old redial but I am not so sure. (I have to have this redialed-even if the seller hadn't rubbed off the logo as it was extremely faded in all respects)

    But I am interested in this thread as I am doing as much research as I can before having it sent out to redialer.

    good luck
    why not contact Vacheron - OUTstanding company, I am SURE they would advise you
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

    "Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member DaBaeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    States: east -nyc/phila
    Posts
    6,644

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    why not contact Vacheron - OUTstanding company, I am SURE they would advise you
    Adam
    Thanks. Good advice. I think they could probably still make out the original dial-if its original-And hopefully tell me if they ever had VC/Suisse Geneve on the dial.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

  6. #5
    Member Tony C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    If you post a photo of the dial, I'd be happy to provide an opinion. It is definitely the case that not all accent-less dials are redials.

    Cheers,

    Tony C.

  7. #6
    Member DaBaeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    States: east -nyc/phila
    Posts
    6,644

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    If you post a photo of the dial, I'd be happy to provide an opinion. It is definitely the case that not all accent-less dials are redials.

    Cheers,

    Tony C.
    I know I'm not the OP but since you offer-(and I havnt contacted VC as of yet) Might I ask your opinion of the following? I understand it is at the point where to most vintage guys this dial would be BEYOND patina and in need of a re-dial. But I am still reluctant as I have a high tolerance for 'original' if it is indeed original. And I at least would like to know what I should look for in reworking it -if it comes to that. Any opinion-I would gladly accept. I'm mostly interested if you know about original 30s VC dials that have VC/Geneve SUisse on them. [i understand if this one is too far gone to have an opinion about. And fyi-there was an accent over the 2nd 'e'] thnx:

    1938 VC square dial w. leCoutre movmnt finished to time and temp:

    (updated pic oif dial w/o crystal. [hardly any difference ;)
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 13th, 2013 at 06:49.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

  8. #7
    Member Tony C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    I'm afraid that the degraded crystal makes it difficult to judge with confidence. Based on the fonts used, however, I am somewhat skeptical that the dial is original. Please do update us after V&C has offered an opinion.

    Tony C.

  9. #8
    Member DaBaeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    States: east -nyc/phila
    Posts
    6,644

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    I'm afraid that the degraded crystal makes it difficult to judge with confidence. Based on the fonts used, however, I am somewhat skeptical that the dial is original. Please do update us after V&C has offered an opinion.

    Tony C.
    Thnks. I know its pretty bad. The seller thought he would be making it more valuable the night before he shipped and decided to lightly clean it. The q-tip he used rubbed off about %50 of what was left of the already 50% degraded original dial. But I got it for such a good price I caoudnt ask him for less on de-value to the watch. Or the cost of restoring the dial.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

  10. #9
    Member HOROLOGIST007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Costa Blanca Spain
    Posts
    13,373

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    Thnks. I know its pretty bad. The seller thought he would be making it more valuable the night before he shipped and decided to lightly clean it. The q-tip he used rubbed off about %50 of what was left of the already 50% degraded original dial. But I got it for such a good price I caoudnt ask him for less on de-value to the watch. Or the cost of restoring the dial.
    I think you will find VC very helpful
    Sadly I do not own a VC, so unfortunately I have no contact inside the company, but a friend on another forum has a vintage VC - he contacted them and was invited to their private Museum too.

    Give it a try first

    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

    "Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

  11. #10
    Member DaBaeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    States: east -nyc/phila
    Posts
    6,644

    Re: Calling all Vintage Vacheron Constanin experts!

    Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I think you will find VC very helpful
    Sadly I do not own a VC, so unfortunately I have no contact inside the company, but a friend on another forum has a vintage VC - he contacted them and was invited to their private Museum too.

    Give it a try first

    Regards
    thanks. fortunately for me-what the dial lacks- is made up by the very fine condition of the movement. ALthough mine is stamped for adj to time and temp. _i am still uncertain if this would be considered a chronometre grade. I am thinking-not. I hope that VC can be of some assistance. thnx
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •