Came across an interesting Vintage Ulysse Nardin can anyone verify the movement?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Came across an interesting Vintage Ulysse Nardin can anyone verify the movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Came across an interesting Vintage Ulysse Nardin can anyone verify the movement?

Hi all, came across an older Ulysse Nardin that interested me. I'm not very familiar with the brand so I was wondering if anyone that was could maybe give me an opinion on whether the movement looks correct. Trying to decide between this or an old bumper movement Jaeger LeCoultre so don't want to end up with a franken watch.

Re: Came across an interesting Vintage Ulysse Nardin can anyone verify the movement?

The pics are a bit fuzzy to make out much but it appears to be an above average movement with 'not added later' markings. There is a decent chance it is real. Hopefully others will know more!
    radger likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Came across an interesting Vintage Ulysse Nardin can anyone verify the movement?

Gotta agree with Eeeb, from what you show it looks ok.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The seller doesn't know much about it but it is supposed to be a 25 jewel movement. I did some searching around but wasn't able to come up with much information on vintage Ulysse Nardin watches, any suggestions for UN resources?

Hi there,

the movement is any of this line:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1656
    As far as visible from the phone-cam junk, the finish is above average and there is a serial number. Both indicate authenticy because fakers shy away from excessive efforts. Consider that just a tiny minority reads here, and thus it needs not more than apply an expensive name to fetch an according price.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    dexvd likes this.

Thanks! Will post pics if I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
    Hi all, came across an older Ulysse Nardin that interested me. I'm not very familiar with the brand so I was wondering if anyone that was could maybe give me an opinion on whether the movement looks correct. Trying to decide between this or an old bumper movement Jaeger LeCoultre so don't want to end up with a franken watch.
    The movement is likely either a N73 (based on the AS 1673) or a N74 (based on the AS 1674) depending on whether it has a date or not. Worth mentioning is that this movement has had its rotor changed.
    The original rotor would have looked like this:

This would make me suspicious of the rest of the watch, especially the movement. What have been done to it? Why was it changed? I have also never seen one these movements with what looks to be a nickel balance?
    This is not necessarily a problem, as they may have come equipped with nickel balances too. How is the dial?
    Last edited by Warwian; August 9th, 2014 at 02:53.
    dexvd likes this.

It does look a lot like the N74 but I found some other pictures of a supposed N74 and there does seem to be some differences.

I'm going to have to ask for some better pictures of the movement. The dial and hands look patina'd and faded in a way I think I would have preferred over how it looked new.

This is a movement of another I came across.

This one looks fake to me with the minimal markings compared to the others we have been looking at.

Got a new picture apparently it is an N73 movement, although it is marked a lot differently than the above N73 movement.

So the balance is fake/not stock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information