Came my way this morning, Suizex, with the usual question!

Thread: Came my way this morning, Suizex, with the usual question!

Came my way this morning, Suizex, with the usual question!

Picked this up this morning from a friend who got it from fleabay thinking it was a man's watch. A very nice little French Suizex from Henri Robillard of Bescançon, 22mm excluding the crown and 12mm between the lugs, just right for Madame. As usual I'm struggling to identify the movement, it has a maker's mark, but it's too indistinct to make out properly. Any ideas anyone?

John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Came my way this morning, Suizex, with the usual question!

Sorry - could be one of a variety of makers (broadly resembles Adolf Schild, FHF, Durowe, Peseux, etc. movements). The maker's mark looks a little like "ASH" in a triangle from here but I can't place it.....

I suspect the keyless works would give us more insight if you are going to take it apart.

Hartmut Richter

I am pretty sure this is a Swiss movement, possibly the symbols in the triangle refer to A. Michel as here:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AM, A. Michel SA, Grenchen
    Other possible 'shielded triangle' are Precimax, Recta, MST, Montilier, those are ones I remember with that kind of emblem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So John does the madame also enjoy a good watch or is it forced upon her, your collection must be growing at a very fast rate. Do you ever sell any of them after awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Sorry - could be one of a variety of makers (broadly resembles Adolf Schild, FHF, Durowe, Peseux, etc. movements). The maker's mark looks a little like "ASH" in a triangle from here but I can't place it.....

I suspect the keyless works would give us more insight if you are going to take it apart.

Hartmut Richter
    thanks Hartmut, it does look fairly generic to a number of makers. My total lack of skills forces me to leave the inner workings well alone I'm afraid. As far as I can make out the logo looks something like the rough drawing I've done, it's not very well defined and I'm only reasonably sure of the first two markings but the third alpha/digit is very vague and could be an 8 or B or even E. I've been through all my references for makers trade marks, and there's nothing like it.

Thanks again for your insight
    John

Quote Originally Posted by eldarinn View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a Swiss movement, possibly the symbols in the triangle refer to A. Michel as here:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AM, A. Michel SA, Grenchen
    Other possible 'shielded triangle' are Precimax, Recta, MST, Montilier, those are ones I remember with that kind of emblem.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Tal, I dont think it's the AM logo. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's a Swiss movement.

"Ebauche Swiss" is a sure sign that it's a French watch with a Swiss movement, it's one of the French ways of making an often fairly mundane movement appear "up market", just like the addition of "de luxe", "jewelled" etc does. The Herma "de lux", for example, runs a Cupillard/FE 233, which although robust and generally reliable cannot be described as a luxury watch movement! And when an early 50's Mortima is marked "jeweled", it actually means it uses a 1 Jewel Cattin C66. It doesn't bother me though, I have one of each of them.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    So John does the madame also enjoy a good watch or is it forced upon her, your collection must be growing at a very fast rate. Do you ever sell any of them after awhile
    Hi Joe
    Madame has a dozen or so watches now, less than half of which are vintage. The only problem is that she rarely wears a watch these days, and when she does it is some slightly blingy modern quartz thingy, she'll only put on one of the vintage ones if I wind and set it for her. I don't often sell a French watch, as I try to have just one of each make, so I only move one on when I find a nicer (for me) example of the same make. I'm slowly moving out some of my Swiss watches though, the ones that I don't wear much, mainly to make room for more French ones! When I first started collecting last year I spent the first few months just reading and learning and then bought a few watches that I found "interesting", mainly Swiss. I ended up with about 20, of which half a dozen were MuDu's. It seemed to me that most people concentrated on an individual make, or a certain type, or even an era. French watches, with the exception of the very high end, or the like of Lip and Yema etc, were not that popular or well known, so living where I do it seemed an obvious choice on which to base the majority of my collection. As of today I've 40 French watches of 35 different brands, 1 German, 1 English, 2 Russian, and 13 Swiss. Not too bad for 7 months collecting.
    John

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Sorry, no - I have to pass on this one. If you ever get it dismantled, post a picture of the keyless works and we'll proceed.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Sorry, no - I have to pass on this one. If you ever get it dismantled, post a picture of the keyless works and we'll proceed.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks Hartmut, if Madame decides she likes it enough I'll have it dismantled, it's in decent enough condition and runs fine at the moment, I just have to convince her that even though it's not glittery it's still nice enough to wear
    John

Thread Information