Can anybody help?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WeymouthSteve

Thread: Can anybody help?

Can anybody help?

Hi I just need a little help, if anybody knows anything about this watch?

All I can find is that its 18ct Gold and has a Dennison Case?

Name:  watch1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  269.4 KBName:  watch2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  297.0 KBName:  watch3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  84.8 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Can anybody help?

Hi there,

if I read the hallmarks right, they indicate Birmingham 1920, well matching AL Dennison, and the style of the watch.

The movement reminds me on old Cyma/Tavannes movements with negative stem mechanism, intended for the American market. The trademark stamp, which I can't recognize, may confirm this, but I'd not be surprised if I'm completely wrong.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Help wanted

hi I posted this in Military & Pilots watches and somebody suggested I post it here so here goes.
    Would anybody know anything about this watch. Its stamped 18ct Gold
    Many thanks in advance

Name:  watch3.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  84.8 KBName:  watch1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  269.4 KBName:  watch2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  297.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help wanted

Looks like it was assayed in Scotland in 1926. Can't make out that mark on the movement, but the finish has a bit of a longines/aggasiz look to it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Can anybody help?

Threads merged

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

With regards the hallmark it does look like an anchor to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    With regards the hallmark it does look like an anchor to me.
    It is the Birmingham-anchor. The shield looks a bit odd to a verge watch collector like me. The shape of the shield has been changed to this version as from 1900. It had a tip at the lower end from 1773 until 1848 and that was flat from 1849 until 1899. The crown and the '18' were used in this fashion for 18K gold from 1854 until 1931. The mark is shown both on the lid and on the side of the case.

The grade marked on the lid indicates genuine 18K. There are four registered marks on Dennison cases:

1.ALD for solid 9K and 18K gold or silver. There are NO periods between the letters!
    2. Sun, for gold-filled, 25 years guarantee, occasionally also marked ALD, but always with periods between the letters = A.L.D.
    3. Moon, for gold-filled, 20 years guarantee, occasionally also marked ALD, but always with periods between the letters = A.L.D.
    4. Star, for gold-filled, 10 yearsd guarantee, occasionally also marked ALD, but always with periods between the letters = A.L.D.

The dots in the ALD mark seem to be just light reflections and would be, as dots, in the wrong position (normally at the bottom line).

The movement seems alright for such a case. What worries me a bit is the dial. If someone wants to have a large and clear, no fuzz indication of the time, with lots of radium on the fat hands, to secure that even in the dark, one would go for that dial. But what a strange luxury, to put that into a solid gold case? I can only guess, whereby I have tried to avoid any guessing in my other statements, that the dial is not original.

Aproppos radium: There has been so much of that stuff applied here, which would otherwise be sufficient for 200 regular dials. Especially on dials of military watches (before the mid 1960ies, one had been very 'generous'with that material and had often even used strontium. Radium has a very long half life, and even if the glow effect has faded or even totally gone, the danger from radioactive emissions is still there. I would be extremely careful when handling (opening, servicing) this particular watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 18th, 2015 at 12:13. Reason: typo

Thread Information