Can anybody help me get an approximate date for these watches?

Thread: Can anybody help me get an approximate date for these watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anybody help me get an approximate date for these watches?

.Name:  IMG_8986.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  252.8 KBName:  IMG_9458.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  232.0 KBName:  IMG_6544.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  268.3 KB

Hello time piece aficionados. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me something about a couple of old family watches- there are two, but I can only put up limited images at a time, so here's the one I've been puzzling over the most. The watch is small and round, and gold in color with the wind up mechanism directly on the top. It's on a peculiar cloth band which seems to me to be too small for a wrist. I'm not sure if the cloth band came on the watch or if perhaps the original band broke and someone replaced it with this, but the cloth, too, appears to be very old. The back of the watch has a slight groove on the outside, and when you pull on the groove the back of the watch opens up to show the gears. Inside the back cover, it says " Wadsworth", then "referee" and "warranted 20 years". The number 2754735 appears below that in a v shape. Engraved on the actual watch workings are "Girod Swiss 15 jewels", the the letters "AF" vertically on one side, and "RS" vertically on the other. I've been trying to look up the probable age of the watch on various websites, but am not having much luck, and I believe this is because either Wadsworth must have been a small company, or else Wadsworth is the maker of the case and not the watch. My best guess so far is that the watch must be from between 1916 and 1924/5, based on some patent and copyright dates I found on one website, and based on a comment someone left on another post regarding the discontinuation of the case warranty after a certain year. Can anybody tell me anything else about this watch? I'm curious about it in general, but particularly about the age as I'd like to figure out which relative it originally belonged to. I appreciate any insights you may have. :)

Re: Can anybody help me get an approximate date for these watches?

1910s
    It is a ladies converted pendant watch, anywhere from 1905 to to 1920.

Cloth (silk) band is original and hand made

AR/FS
    = Advance / Retard
    Fast and slow

Girard is 'probably' Girard Perregaux - a very famous manufacturer
    Yes WADSWORTH is the case maker, that tell us nothing sadly
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; November 29th, 2013 at 22:42.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Oh awesome! That was quick. Thank you. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mimsey View Post
    Oh awesome! That was quick. Thank you. :)
    I added (edited) quite a bit so please read it again.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Name:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  269.4 KBName:  IMG_2062.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  267.1 KBName:  IMG_2064.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  255.0 KB

Thank you! That's very interesting about the band- do you happen to know how it was worn? I mean, did it start as a pendant and the band was a way to convert it into a wrist watch, or was the band pinned to the clothes to make the watch a pendant?
    This is the other watch I was trying to date, but if the back opens up, I don't know how. :/ It says "Hampden" on the face, which opens up. Nothing is on the back. I know just the face might not be enough info to go on, but I thought maybe the style could indicate a date range. Any thoughts?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Movement looks like a Fontainemelon Cal. FHF 30 or derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 30

Hartmut Richter

Yes! The inside looks almost exactly like that top picture in your link- the only differences are where the writing is located, the word or name "Girod", and the wheel on the bottom of mine has tiny little bumps along the outside. One of the amazing things about this thing is that it still kind of works. It winds up and keeps time, although it gains minutes steadily throughout the day. How interesting, to think of how many wearers it has outlasted.

"Girod" proably doesn't have anything to do with "Girard Perregaux"; it was, however, a common swiss surname. Mikrolisk turns up a number of "Girod", although nothing I can tie to the timeframe of this watch.

The style of the case and the use of the term "Warranted" (as opposed to Guaranteed) dates this to past the 1928's, mostly likely. I can't tell much more due to the fuzzyness of the movement photo though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The first one isn't a converted pocket watch. It was designed like that and was worn as such though I forget exactly how the bottom fitting works. It wasn't intended to be worn on the wrist so the strap probably isn't original to it. However you'd be amazed just how thin ladies wrists appeared to be back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    The first one isn't a converted pocket watch. It was designed like that and was worn as such though I forget exactly how the bottom fitting works. It wasn't intended to be worn on the wrist so the strap probably isn't original to it. However you'd be amazed just how thin ladies wrists appeared to be back in the day.
    Agreed NOT a pocket watch conversion, but based on a Pendant watch.
    The extra small lug was either fitted originally or added later to allow the watch to be worn as a Pendant or a wristwatch with either a metal bracelet or silk strap.

O woill post pictures later
    regards

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information