Can anyone give me any information about this pocket watch???

Thread: Can anyone give me any information about this pocket watch???

Question Can anyone give me any information about this pocket watch???

I inherited this watch from my grandad, but I have no idea how old it is or what it's worth. I do know it's a Smith's Empire watch, which read "made in Gt. Britian" on the face.

Any information would be great!!!! Thanks you guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Can anyone give me any information about this pocket watch???

Not that I know anything, but to help the ones that know out... a pic of the movement will help them give information to you.

I would like to see a movement picture to be sure, but I'm guessing 1950s (1940s at the earliest).
    The English watch experts will know more. We don't give valuations here, but I don't think you'll be able to retire with what this one would bring at auction. Sorry.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pinkneonmartini View Post
    I inherited this watch from my grandad, but I have no idea how old it is or what it's worth. I do know it's a Smith's Empire watch, which read "made in Gt. Britian" on the face.

Have a look at this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ghlight=smiths

Its a nice watch - but not old enough or special enough to be of great monetary value. These were everyday watches made to be affordable by the average man. Note what the original poster paid for his example.

As you inherited the watch from your grandad, you will probably want to keep it safe and maybe pass it on someday. If you don't know when it was last serviced and want to use it, then you should take it to a watchmaker for a once over and will probably be told that it needs a service (dismantling, cleaning, lubricating, reassembling, timekeeping adjusted). This will probably cost more than the watch would sell for - but would keep it useable and prevent the damage that can be caused by running a dry/dirty watch.

It looks to be in very nice cosmetic condition.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinkneonmartini View Post

Production of the calibre PY pocket watch at the Anglo-Celtic Watch Company in Ystradgynlais, Wales started in 1948 and ended about 1980. "Made in Gt Britain" is a round-about way of saying "not made in England" (where other Smiths watches were made). Initially the the PY and other watches were made both for Smiths and Ingersoll, then Smiths only from the mid 1960s. The 'Empire' name was only used until the mid 1950s. Yours has the added complication of centre-seconds, which makes it a bit special.

The PY was essentially a reintroduction of the old Ingersoll Crown, made in London from 1905 until the late 1920s. The original design came from Ingersoll USA, and was in fact the first stem-winding version of the legendary Ingersoll Yankee 'Dollar Watch', introduced in the mid 1890s. This is a simple, hardy watch, designed to be as cheap as possible but still take a lot of knocks, however the lack of jewels means that it will wear out faster than a more expensive watch if not correctly lubricated.

As an interesting aside, the centre-second version of the PY was copied by the Shanghai Diamond Watch Factory in China and produced from 1958 until 1970 when the tools were transferred to another factory where production continued for several more years.

Thread Information