Can anyone help identify this watch?

Thread: Can anyone help identify this watch?

Can anyone help identify this watch?

My godfather gave me this pocketwatch before he died. I have had it for about 10 years now, but never took the time to look into its history or specifications. Can any of you experts help me out? Thanks. There are no markings on the back or anyhting else. My mom has told me that it is white gold not silver, but she could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can anyone help identify this watch?

This is a modern quartz Lepine (open-face) pocket watch made by Tissot. You can still buy these as Tissot model T82.6.502.13. I know that you can get it in a rhodium-plated case but they may have been available in white gold plate as well.

Here's an example:

Tissot T82.6.502.13

Is there anyway to place a year on it? Does anyone know what the value would be? I am pretty sure this particular one is from at least the 1980's. I know it retails now for about 300-350 euro. Would an older one be worth more?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by adewind View Post
    Is there anyway to place a year on it? Does anyone know what the value would be? I am pretty sure this particular one is from at least the 1980's. I know it retails now for about 300-350 euro. Would an older one be worth more?
    We don't do evaluations. A post in the stickies tells you why. But, in general, watches are like cars -- the cost the most when new and go down in value for a number of years... then they can start going back up in value if there are people collecting them. (But with watches that can be 40-50 years... they last a lot longer than cars!)

If this is a gold watch, that alone has caused it to go up in value. If you open the case up, there should be an indication of the gold content if it is gold.

Tissot usually does not date it's quartz watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Read the sticky note at the top of the page about watch valuations. Valuations aren't really done here. However, in the case of this watch, why would you expect your old watch to be more valuable than a new identical watch? Do you expect your car to be worth more when it is ten or twenty years old?

If you want to see what these watches are really going for new check ebay auctions/sellers. Prepare to be disappointed.

My bad on not reading; the sticky I am new here, clearly. In terms of value I really am not too worried. It was a gift and has a lot of sentimental value. I wasn't planning on selling it or anything. Was just wondering. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

Any watch from a grandfather is worth treasuring. I have received three pocket watches in my life:
    (1) 1901 Waltham my maternal grandfather gave to me when I was 6. Still runs.
    (2) 1893 Elgin my paternal grandfather had. My dad's brother gave it to me. it was broken but I spent a fortune getting it fixed. It purrs today.
    (3) 1950 Hamilton 992B- my maternal grandfather's grail watch. After he died in 1966 my uncle used it for years. After he passed away in 1982, my other uncle gave it to me. Uncle #2 has been gone for many years but the watch still runs fine. I gave this beautiful memory to my son-in-law when he married my daughter, so now it's on to the 4th generation.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information