Can anyone help identify this Westfield?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can anyone help identify this Westfield?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone help identify this Westfield?

I have been going through my boxes of unidentified or otherwise not working/wearable watches and found this Westfield. It looks nice, movement is clean but seems to be stuck. I think the escapement just needs to be lubricated and cleaned, but before I invest in that I'm wondering if anyone can help identify if it's worth it!

The face reads Westfield Swiss and the numbers are in gold (whether or not it's actually gold is anyone's guess). The case is in very nice shape. The inside of the back case reads Westfield Stainless Base Metal, and the outside of the case says Westfield L4, and a serial number. I believe the L4 means it was manufactured in 1954, but I don't know. The movement reads "Westfield Watch Co. Swiss 17 Seventeen Jewels Unadjusted L4 WXW 10ZC"

Pics are below. Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jawn101; January 26th, 2010 at 02:24. Reason: Fix pictures

Re: Can anyone help identify this Westfield?

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

From what I've read, Westfield was an independent american company that used imported Bulova movements. As such, there should be a code on the barel bridge that'll tell you the age of the movment. I assume the case back uses the same coding system (so as you say, 1954); I'd expect the movement code to be the same or earlier.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    From what I've read, Westfield was an independent american company that used imported Bulova movements. As such, there should be a code on the barel bridge that'll tell you the age of the movment. I assume the case back uses the same coding system (so as you say, 1954); I'd expect the movement code to be the same or earlier.
    Thanks! I do see the L4 code on the caseback and on the movement, so that's a good step. Do any of you guys feel like it would be worth revitalizing this movement or is it just one of those "Ehhhhh" situations where it goes back in the safe?

Most Westfields I've seen only have 7 jewel movements .. so you have a better than normal one.

I don't think they used any solid gold cases. It is likely gold filled.

If you like it, get it serviced and wear it. Like with most vintage watches, it isn't worth much and will cost you more to get it running than you could likely sell it for.

I get to go through my shoeboxes of mechanical watches(which continues to grow) every once in awhile as well,though not as often as I would like...here is a westfield i have ...the movement SEEMs identical,however,mine is L2(1952),it is 15 jewels,adjusted...it is in good shape,running accurately,needs a cleaning and crystal buffed....I really like alot of these old watches I have(even just looking at them every few months),however,as far as me wearing one,some of them are just too small on my wrist...CHEERS...(i know I have a few ladies and a couple of more men's WESTFIELDS..I'll post if I come across them soon)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! I never did do anything with mine, but perhaps I should. I ended up giving a lot of the smaller watches to my wife to wear, and she might like this one too.

jawn101, Bulova bought the Westfield Company in the 30's. I looked through my Westfield ads but don't have any past the 40's. Westfield copied the Bulova "styles" but were marketed as a "more affordable" watch as compared to the Bulova line of watches. Which usually meant less jewel count, less gold content etc. and were know "as the every mans watch". As a last thought, you might want to check out the Bulova collectors site and compare the models in the database from the early 50's.

There is a whole lot of new info on Westfields @ Westfield Watch Company

The above referenced thread about the Westfield Watch Co. has more ad entries since the last thread in this post. Might be worth a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information