Can anyone tell me something about this watch

Name:  SP_A0583.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  254.0 KBName:  SP_A0584.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  269.8 KB

Re: Can anyone help me

Hi!

It´s a Lépine pocketwatch, wich means there is no additional cap on the dial/crystal. The movement looks like an Unitas 83 or similar and I think it´s from the 1930s, 1940s.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

It´s a Lépine pocketwatch, wich means there is no additional cap on the dial/crystal. The movement looks like an Unitas 83 or similar and I think it´s from the 1930s, 1940s.
    Unknown movement in a basic finish but rated as chronometre
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    Unknown movement in a basic finish but rated as chronometre
    The watch predates COSC so the use of the term chronometre might be a bit loose here...

Anyone have a clue what the "DE" on the dial means?

Are there any hallmarks on the case?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

"of" in french. Basically, the dial says "watch of high precision". Probably not a "chronometer" as we understand the term today, but a literal chrono-meter, or measurer of time.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

IMHO it says "chronometer of high precision". The term "chronometer" is being used for a long time, independent from the language. In 1850, some observatories began to present competitions and later, every observatory had it´s own definitions for a chronometer. I think the British ones had been the hardest. Same situation in Switzerland, before the COSC came with standardised definitions in 1972.
    Best regards, Mike

LOL, what is says and what it does are two seperate matters! Fancy title for a pedestrian movement. Of course the term chronometer was used for a long time...its the earlier label for a timekeeping device, before "watch". Another example: chronoscope was an early term for what we call today a chronograph...indeed "chronograph" is incorrectly applied from the old ink-dot watches but has now become generic. The correct term is "observatory chronometer" if you are referring to the watches submitted for observatory trials, while "chronometer" was used as stated; more liberally The matter was settled, albeit for marketing rather than accuracy purposes, when COSC was actually allowed to trademark the term "chronometer" then define its meaning with a timekeeping standard that hasn't much improved in 60 years...but thats another story.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

To be exact: "Chronometer" has been a protected and defined term in Switzerland since 1877, when the first Bureau officiel de controle de la marche des mastres in Biel was founded(La Chaux-de-Fonds and St. Imier followed 10 years later). A "chronometer" needed an official test at one of these Bureaus officiels. Inbetween 1915 and 1951, the term hadn´t been poteted, but chronometers had to be in comply with a movement, which was defined by the Suisse des Associations de Fabricants d'Horlogerie. From 1951 on, it again needed an individual test and in 1972, the COSC brought standardised definitions.
    Eeeb likes this.
    Best regards, Mike

Thanks mike184 for this info. Do you have von Osterhausen's book? I'd appreciate if you could share the details of the 1877 establishment of the Biel B.O. Does it mention what the standards set by the Suisse des Associations de Fabricants d'Horlogerie were? I'm wondering if, rather than for higher accuracy, they follow the earlier use of the term chronometer as a small timekeeper to establish industry standards.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Hi!

I don´t own von Osterhausen´s book, but thanx for bringing it back to my mind - I´ve found a used one in good condition for a nice price and ordered it.
    The info comes from the German Watch Wiki project - I´m a (very small) part of it.
    From 1877 on, a watch needed a test in Biel to be called chronometer. The 1877´s definitions are not described, just the test procedure without exact definitions of 1893 and 1904.
    1877: 15 days, 2 different positions at 3 different temperatures
    1904: Same, but a 1st class(15 days) and a 2nd class(10 days) test
    From 1915 on, a watch didn´t need to pass a test to be called a chronometer, it just had to meet the specifications of the "master chronometer" movement of the Suisse des Associations de Fabricants d'Horlogeri, being regulated in different positions at different temperatures. This is a more liberal practice - the term "chronometer" still had been defined but not really protected in sense of an official control.
    1951, the Suisse des Associations de Fabricants d'Horlogeri gave up the old definition and the test at one of the Bureaus officiels de controle de la marche des mastres became obligatory again.
    If I can find some better info in von Osterhausen´s book(when it has arrived), I´ll post some more.
    Best regards, Mike

Thread Information