Can anyone help me identify this Pocket Watch?

Thread: Can anyone help me identify this Pocket Watch?

Can anyone help me identify this Pocket Watch?

I thought I was a good Googler but this one has me stumped. Therefore, I have come to the experts. When my Grandfather passed last year, I was left this pocket watch. It is still in the orginal box. It was presented to my Grandfather's neighbor in 1908, and when he passed, it was given to my Grandfather. He was an Illinois football coach . Markings on the inside lid bear the serial number 30804. There is also a 0.585 stamped into the lid. 2 other identifying logos of a crown on the left and what I can only describe as a pear-shaped logo on the right. I have taken 3 pictures of the watch and uploaded them to my site. If you could give me ANY information on this pocket watch I would truly appreciate it. It's beautiful, and it also still works. I'd like to do a write up on it for my website. Thank you so much for your help.

Name:  watch1.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  842.8 KB
    Name:  watch2_Medium.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  705.1 KB
    Name:  watch3_Medium.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  454.3 KB
    Last edited by typhoon43; February 27th, 2012 at 20:21.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Can anyone help me identify this Pocket Watch?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on such a well preserved watch!

A photo of the mechanism inside the case would be helpful.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I opened the back hinge up and it's there's a matching serial number and 0.585 engraved on that panel as well, but the actual back plate has not been compromised. Do I just pry it off with a blade?

edit: Got gutsy with the swiss army knife. Hopefully this helps. The inside panel has the matching serial number on it, and the "guts" look like this. Hope it helps!

Name:  watch4.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  600.3 KB
    Last edited by typhoon43; February 27th, 2012 at 21:36.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

0.585 means that its 14k solid gold.
    Bond ... James Bond

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, it's almost certainly Swiss and has a slightly above average quality movement. I suspect it has had some damage and been repaired in a makeshift sort of fashion sometime along the way (that wire acting as a click spring looks awfully primitive!).

Hartmut Richter

Thank you Hartmut! I would suspect some previous damage as well, as the face sounds more like i'm tapping plastic than glass. I assume all of these watches came with crystal or glass faces back then. I'd like to figure out if it's older than 1908 at this point. I just know that this is when it was presented to him.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is crown wound and set so I would doubt that it is much older than that. Movements like that came into common use around that time (Zenith modernised their calibre line in 1905) and were prevalent in pocket watches from the inter war period.

Hartmut Richter

Interesting watch. I hadn't seen too many with the wire click spring so I started looking through my "complete guide to watches" book and found that "wire" on several watches. Harmut is correct, yours does appear to have been repaired at some point as the examples I found show the area where the screw is located to be a flat part of the spring with 2 small screws securing it as opposed to the one large one yours has... It's a hunter case,(crown at 3), bridge type movement. I found examples of the bridge movement with the "wire" click spring made by Longines, Gruen, LIP(a french company), Agassiz, and the International watch company of New York. However, since there are no identifying markings on the movement it was probably sold as an ebauche to a watch company that would have signed it themselves. And I didn't find one exactly like yours. The hands are definitely Louis the XIV style. I'm fairly new at pocket watch collecting and lean more toward the american manufactured watches so you may take this with a grain of salt. Just thought I would share what I found with you. Might give you some clues? Good luck on your search.

Thread Information