Can Anyone Help With Vintage Seamaster???

Thread: Can Anyone Help With Vintage Seamaster???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Can Anyone Help With Vintage Seamaster???

Just digging through my "to repair" Box today and came across this omega Seamaster.

Not normally strange but when i opened it up the Movement is signed Mondaine Watch Co. it is also signed Omega. There is what apears to be a cal. number under the balance wheel which says 7070? Also there it has a designed engraved which i can't make out (even with 10x loupe)The back is signed Omega watch co in the normal triangle but inside is signed Mondaine Watch co 10 MC plated. The crystal is not signed.

The style of the watch suggests to me to be approx 1950's ish.

My questions is this..... Did omega ever use mondaine movements? or could this be an old replica or franken??

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

P.S the dial is missing the Omega symbol and a lot of the writing has come off.

Thank you all.

Re: Can Anyone Help With Vintage Seamaster???

It is franken. Seamaster is diver's watch, this is not even moisture proof,. The dial been re-done (probably from Modaine watch). The "Omega" on the movement is engraved, not stemped. The stemp on the back is suppose in the inside case back like old Omega, and gold plated case does not match "18K 0.750" statement, nothing even close to any Omega, so the truth...

Looks to me to be a fake of 1960s vintage as opposed to franken with a Schild movement?.

Fakes from those days were usually either from Hong Kong or Italy - this one looks Italian to me as the HK ones were shockers.

Stamps on outer caseback are not an Omega custom and I dounbt if the gold in the case is much if at all.

A nice talking piece :)

Cheers

Desmond

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Interesting to see that faking Omegas goes back at least fifty years.

Someone had balls. Its one thing to fake a trademark, but faking a hallmark is a serious offence up there with printing your own money.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
    Looks to me to be a fake of 1960s vintage as opposed to franken with a Schild movement?.

Fakes from those days were usually either from Hong Kong or Italy - this one looks Italian to me as the HK ones were shockers.

Stamps on outer caseback are not an Omega custom and I dounbt if the gold in the case is much if at all.

A nice talking piece :)

Cheers

Desmond
    Yes, this is a complete fake. No part of the watch is made by Omega. The case is not solid 18K gold either. It is just thinly gold-plated brass.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    Interesting to see that faking Omegas goes back at least fifty years.
    One of my first watches as a lad was a fake "diamond" markered "Omega" my stepdad got somewhere and gave to me. It looked impressive at the time. This must have been the mid-60s.
    "My grail showed up today"

ok Thank you all. I did have my suspicions but was good to have it confirmed. I knew it wasn't solid gold as the plating has worn in places. Now i just gotta figure if it is worth restoring or put it in the bin.

Mondaine, is still around and a reputible company. My dad has one of their M-Watch watches. Mondaine likely had nothing to do with this, probably was just whoever the faker got the movement from.

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    Mondaine, is still around and a reputible company. My dad has one of their M-Watch watches. Mondaine likely had nothing to do with this, probably was just whoever the faker got the movement from.
    I saw one at a very nice jewelry store last summer with the same stamp on the caseback but it had a very good Certina movement in it. What annoyed me was that it was marked as a Constellation and after an initial phone inquiry I drove 70 miles to look at it. As soon as I picked up I knew it was a fake and the 20 something salesman actually argued with me about the validity of the watch, the plating was flaking and at first refused to let me open it. After gaining permission and showing him that the movement was not made by Omega but by Certina.....I was asked to kindly leave the store. Believe it or not but as I was reaching the door to leave he was putting it back in the case!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information