Can anyone identify this movement?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ErreCi
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Can anyone identify this movement?

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    320

    Question Can anyone identify this movement?

    Hello, everyone!

    I bought a vintage "diver" for the aesthetics and was curious if anyone can help me with more information about the watch.

    It says "Seawatch" on the dial and "Swiss SIC 21" on the movement.

    Name:  watchuseek_1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  237.8 KB

    Name:  watchuseek_2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  164.2 KB

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Milano, IT
    Posts
    231

    Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    Looks like an EB (Ebauches Bettlach) 8027 pin lever movement. According to Mikrolisk, Seawatch watches were manufactured by Bermi Watch.
    bruno_sfc and Chascomm like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    320

    Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    Looks like an EB (Ebauches Bettlach) 8027 pin lever movement. According to Mikrolisk, Seawatch watches were manufactured by Bermi Watch.
    Thank you so much!

    Can you estimate what year? There is no engraving on the caseback with serial number or anything, just a generic diver swimming.

    I researched a little and it seems the models were also rebranded as "Sicura", "Eastman", "Lucerne", "Spartan Seawatch", "Bifora", "Birnbaum", "Bercona" and "Austa". They are from 60s and 70s and seemed to have Swiss pin lever movements for what I found. Do you know anything about this? Just curious, I would love to have more background information.

    Thank you again for the information, I'm Googling about the EB 8027 right know.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,554

    Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    In case you haven't found anything yet, it belongs to this general movement family:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: EB 8020

    The one in the link may be smaller than yours (ca. 23mm across - the movement, not the watch! - rather than 25.6mm).

    Hartmut Richter

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    320

    Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    In case you haven't found anything yet, it belongs to this general movement family:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: EB 8020

    The one in the link may be smaller than yours (ca. 23mm across - the movement, not the watch! - rather than 25.6mm).

    Hartmut Richter
    Thank you, Hartmut!

    I'm collecting some information I found, not much specific but pretty interesting. I don't understand much of types of watch movements, would you recommend any site or video for a curious person who wants to know more about it?

    Thanks.

  7. #6
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,554

    Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    What do you want to know? If you are looking for examples of different watch movements, you could hardly do better than Roland Ranfft's page. For the cheaper versions, Christoph Lorenz also has quite a few:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke

    Das Metatechnische Kabinett - Uhrwerke

    As for explanations of how a movement works, I know of nothing on the internet (though I'm sure there are heaps of sites) - I always got my knowledge in that department out of books. If you want to scour the world wide wait yourself, try Auntie Google plus some of the following terms for the technical construction:

    Swiss Lever Escapement
    Pin Lever Escapement
    Cylindre Escapement
    Lepine Movement
    Savonette Movement
    Keyless Works
    Automatic Winding
    Column Wheel vs. Cam [or Lever] System (in Chronographs)

    ...plus perhaps these for what's important in watches:

    Isochronism
    Knocking the Banking (this is actually something to avoid!)
    Positional Errors
    Daily Rate
    Deviation in Daily Rate
    Chronometre (SOCS) Testing

    ...and probably many more. Have fun!

    Hartmut Richter
    bruno_sfc and Tirete like this.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    320

    Question Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    What do you want to know? If you are looking for examples of different watch movements, you could hardly do better than Roland Ranfft's page. For the cheaper versions, Christoph Lorenz also has quite a few:

    bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke

    Das Metatechnische Kabinett - Uhrwerke

    As for explanations of how a movement works, I know of nothing on the internet (though I'm sure there are heaps of sites) - I always got my knowledge in that department out of books. If you want to scour the world wide wait yourself, try Auntie Google plus some of the following terms for the technical construction:

    Swiss Lever Escapement
    Pin Lever Escapement
    Cylindre Escapement
    Lepine Movement
    Savonette Movement
    Keyless Works
    Automatic Winding
    Column Wheel vs. Cam [or Lever] System (in Chronographs)

    ...plus perhaps these for what's important in watches:

    Isochronism
    Knocking the Banking (this is actually something to avoid!)
    Positional Errors
    Daily Rate
    Deviation in Daily Rate
    Chronometre (SOCS) Testing

    ...and probably many more. Have fun!

    Hartmut Richter
    This is perfect, Hartmut! I didn't know where to start, now I have some direction. I'll start with the with the basic technical constructions, this will indeed be fun. Thanks again!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Rolex ? Hi can anyone identify this movement
      By normaneldon in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: December 4th, 2011, 13:51
    2. can anyone identify this movement?
      By Kungfucowboy in forum TAG Heuer
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: December 16th, 2010, 03:41
    3. can anyone identify this movement?
      By Kungfucowboy in forum Chinese Mechanical watches
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: June 6th, 2010, 15:24
    4. Can anyone identify this movement?
      By v76 in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: February 6th, 2010, 04:26
    5. Can anyone identify this movement?
      By Docrwm in forum Chinese Mechanical watches
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: February 12th, 2006, 18:35

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •